Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Reg has vs higher octane  (Read 621 times)

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
Reg has vs higher octane
« on: August 11, 2019, 08:52:31 PM »
For craps and giggles I filled up with high octane since it has been hot in SoCal.  Engine vibration is terrible around 4800 rpm. My bike is much smoother with recommended octane fuel. I really think the ecu does not know how to run with fuel which detonates differently than 87.  Thoughts?
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
Re: Reg has vs higher octane
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 10:26:58 PM »
I always run mine on high octane (98/99 RON) and have no issues at all.

If you change the octane then I would suggest you need to do the 12 minute tune-up once you have changed to another octane, then decide. Can make quite a difference

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 12:45:28 AM »
I didn't notice any behaviour difference when I tried high octane fuel in my gen1 TEx.
It did seem to increase the mileage, but not by enough to justify the extra cost.
I use straight standard (91 RON) in my T1200 and my Subaru Outback.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 10:31:30 AM »
Almost all modern engines are designed to run on "regular" fuel.
Though they theoretically accept a wide range of octane ratings, there could be some local (I know that CA sometimes has specific environmental policies) ECU programmings that would make the engine behave strangely.

I rarely use high octane fuel, but when it occurs, there's not even the ghost of a difference (be it engine behavior or economy).

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 12:40:28 PM »
Not sure if it is still happening, but there was a large variance in ethanol content from what is reported at the pump in many US locations. I generally use Chevron 94 locally when I can, because it has no ethanol in it, and that is what I pay extra for.

When I travel in the US, I find that my TEX often stumbles at cold startup and idles a bit rough until it warms up. I attribute that to ethanol.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Bruce Wayne

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Winterswijk
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 07:49:19 PM »
Here in Europe I use octane 95, 98 and 102 all on different moment in my rides. Never a problem sofar. I’m no doing a tour trough Germany, Ostria, Italy, Slovenia, Hungary and back to the Netherlands via Germany. Fuel consumption 1 liter every 21km. Never done a 12 minute reset.

Offline vt_sailor

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Saratoga Springs, NY
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 02:00:02 AM »
Here in New York a few stations have 91 octane gas without ethanol.  I get 2-3 mpg better mileage and it seems like the acceleration is better but that could be confirmation bias.  The mileage makes sense since adding ethanol reduces the energy density.

I’m not sure it’s worth the 50 cents per gallon though.
2015 Explorer--givi bags with motech mounts,
Radiator protector, delrin gps mount, OEM & motech crash bars, motech hand guards, Clearwater Darla fog lights

Offline andrewr138

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2015 TEx XC
  • City / Town: Denver
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 03:00:46 AM »
Here in CO, we only have 85, 87, and 91 octane vs 87, 91, & 93 is most states. I always go with the highest octane available. It's just what I've always done. I have no idea if it makes a difference.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 09:45:29 AM »
I might be imagining it but have a gut feeling higher octane & lower ethanol fuel makes mine run cooler.

Offline Lopez

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: XC
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 12:08:17 PM »
In Spain always use 98 octane.

When travelling in Africa I went with... What I found. I didn't notice any behaviour difference. Maybe a little more thirsty and some rattles when starting, but nothing important at all.

But I remember when travelling to Armenia. It was a 16000km trip (France, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Armenia and back to Georgia, Turkey, Bulgary, Serbia, Eslovenia...). The departure day, at only 20 km from my home, I stopped in a gas station. I was nervous about the trip starting, so I didn' realize I was putting Gasoil (the truck's diesel in Spain).

I started the engine, run for 20 meters, listen to a big FART from the exhaust... And the bike stopped. Empty the fuel tank, a couple starting attempts, another fart... And everything ok. No problems at all.

Conclusion is: Diesel makes Explorer to fart as beans do to me.

Recent Topics