Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Reg has vs higher octane  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Sidi1200

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Phantom Explorer
  • City / Town: Sydney
Re: Reg has vs higher octane
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 01:18:55 AM »
 :745: :745:    :0461:
Anyone can make it complicated..... Its pure Genius to make it Simple....
A Scotsman once told me that "the best glass to drink whisky out of, is the one that doesn't leak"

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 08:17:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by Lopez [+]
Conclusion is: Diesel makes Explorer to fart as beans do to me.
This clearly confirms what I always thought about diesel: only fit for farting ;-)

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 10:03:52 PM »
I would dearly love a diesel KLR650.....
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 05:07:07 AM »
I normally run 87 in mine and it is an E10 blend.   I have had times when I needed to put pure 91 with no ethanol in and didn't notice any difference between them.  I have never used 85 in the Tiger and I wouldn't.  We used to have it when I lived in SD and there were a lot of motors that didn't seem to like it. 

Keep in mind in the US, when the sticker says E10 it can have up to 10% ethanol but it could have anything below.  The mixture varies by who is mixing it.  It could have 1%, it just has to be 10% or less. 

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 08:21:54 PM »
Thanks. On a different note, did a 15 reset using the remaining 91 octane and filled back up with 87. Now bike really smooth. Lol.   My scientific procedures need work I think.
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Offline rockitcity

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Northridge, CA
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 07:40:22 PM »
My experience is that my 2013 Tex has an audible knock on heavy acceleration whenever I run I run regular 87 octane in it.  I have been using only 91 octane for the last 3 years, and it runs smoother, no knocking.

All my other vehicles require premium gas, so I'm used to the extra cost.  Besides, I only use 4-5 gallons a week in the bike so it really doesn't make a lot of difference to me.

I think I did the 12 minute tune thing once, can't recalll if it made any difference. Getting 44-46 mpg  commuting LA freeways.  YMMV!

Offline Gareth38

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Grenoble
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 01:13:56 PM »
In France we can buy
E95  which has octane rating of 95 can have up to 5% bio fuel
E95-10  same with up to 10% bio (Ethanol)
and E98  this is often sold as the premium fuel with names like Excellium (Total) and has no ethanol

Triumph says bike will run on all of these, personal experience is I can't tell much difference between all 3 but normally buy 98 to look after my investment.
Local bikers say 1st choice E98 (most expensive - but more calories? so more miles/gallon?)
Worst choice is E95-10 because of corrosive nature of the Ethanol.
I have also heard that the octane rating decays over time - so if you park your bike up for the winter, fill it to the brim with E98  - which may decay down to 95 over a few months, but most importantly you won't have ethanol slowly attacking hoses/plastics/rubber over the winter.  (personally when there's snow on the ground I dont ride)

To compare  Europe (Ron) and US  (pump) see below:
If a fuel is 98 RON then it will be 93 PON -> 93 PUMP
 If a fuel is 95 RON and 87 MON then it will be 91 PON -> 91 PUMP
Gareth38

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2019, 05:30:57 PM »
Running a higher than needed octane wont make an engine  perform and better and in some cases  could actually make it perform worse.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2019, 05:43:30 PM »
I spent the last week touring two-up with camping gear, so basically, the bike was loaded to the max. I started off using Chevron 94 but then had to switch to other brands with 91 octane and ethanol blend when 94 was not available. I did notice a difference, both in throttle response and in overall power available for overtaking between the beginning of the trip and the end. Whether or not the ECU would eventually recalibrate for the lower octane fuel is uncertain, but there was definitely a perceived difference.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2019, 10:59:15 PM »
Not a fair comparison, Cap'n.  Ethanol blend vs non-ethanol.  I think this thread is about octane rating.

In Australia, all places I've been offer standard (91RON) non-ethanol fuel.  I haven't had any ethanol loaded fuel in my TEx or T1200.
Not all servos here have ethanol blend, called E10, supposedly 10% ethanol.

Recent Topics