Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Denali Driving Lights with Triumph Bar Switch  (Read 355 times)

R3Tex and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online R3Tex

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Houston, TX
Denali Driving Lights with Triumph Bar Switch
« on: August 12, 2019, 01:42:48 AM »
I will be the proud owner of a set of Denali D2 auxiliary lights in a couple of days and I have a quick question since I have heard horror stories about the canbus electronics on the TEX. My 2017 XRT came with the bar switch that controls the heated grips and aux lights, but not the lights. I ordered the Denali light kit which comes with a switch, but I would really like to keep the Triumph switch and not add another one to my bars. Anything I should know before I start trying to crossbreed the two systems?

2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT
2013 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
2013 HD Ultra Limited Anniversary

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: Denali Driving Lights with Triumph Bar Switch
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 10:26:50 AM »
My personal advice (as a long time compulsive aux light worshipper): whatever you add, always take a relay fed from a reliable (aka fused) power source and triggered by your switch. This takes very little current from your existing circuit, thus reducing the probability of further instabilities.
This can sound a bit complicated at first, but it really isn't. A few wires to plug together (just like in software programming: do document all the steps ;-) and this eliminates most problems by design. Yet another case of "better safe than sorry" (don't ask ;-).

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 12:21:55 AM »
I have the D2s and love them

If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the on/off eliminator plug and dimmer relay right from the start.

I still don't have the on/off switch eliminator plug.  I leave mine on all the time, but the on off I mounted on the inner fairing.

Power comes direct through my Denali fuse block that provides a switched power source.
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Online R3Tex

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Houston, TX
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 01:36:23 PM »
I forgot to mention that all of my accessories will be run off an Amplink PDM under the seat so no need for a separate relay and I chose to include the dimmer module that comes with their light kit
2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT
2013 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
2013 HD Ultra Limited Anniversary

Online Gazza13

• Explorer Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 07:00:01 PM »
I have a Gen 1 Tex. I fitted aftermarket led spots to it using the Triumph switch and the original bike connectors, which on the Gen 1 are under the tank.
On the Gen 2 I think the connectors for the spots are under the head stock behind the horn. They are 2 wire Econoseal connectors, Ebays your friend.
All you would have to do is change the Denali connectors to Econoseal and all should work with OEM light switch.Not sure about Denali dimmer :084:.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 07:01:57 PM by Gazza13 »

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 04:51:11 AM »
The Denali dimmer relay is significantly larger than the be standard module that plugs into their harness.  I ended up making a harness to move the dimmer relay about 8 inches away from where I had the original unit.

The Denali harness is a wonderful, high quality unit, but I found that some of the connections were not aimed in the direction I wanted them to go.

I couldn't use the fog light connections as I have the factory fog lamps as well.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 04:52:54 AM by JG_XRT »
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Recent Topics

nonskid