Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tyres - Are there really differences or is it just NEW vs OLD?  (Read 262 times)

Offline Gareth38

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Grenoble
Just changed my original fit Metzelers ( front tyre out of shape after 8500 kms) for Pirelli Scorpions - the handling on the Pirellis is superb and the bike corners much better than the Metzelers - On these threads you will find lots of similar messages but maybe the owner fitted new Michelins or Contis or Bridgestones or any other premium brand.
My 2 centimes worth is " any new tyres will feel much better than all worn out tyres"  so when we say the latest brand we fitted is much better than the last brand, is that true? or are we just really saying that new tyres are better than old shagged out tyres?
Gareth38

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Tyres - Are there really differences or is it just NEW vs OLD?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 04:03:21 PM »
There's a certain truth to what you say Gareth38. One thing I can say for sure is that my Bridgestone A41 is much quieter than my original Tourance Next. It's not 100% road tyre quiet but much better.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 05:33:15 PM »
Some tires are stiffer, so the ride is a bit rougher on anything other than new, fresh pavement. Some tires are noisier (eg. 100% road vs. 90/10 ADV). Some tires "feel" more confident than others, especially in the wet. Some tires give more warning before they lose traction. Some tires turn in quicker. Some tires feel heavier when steering at slow speeds. Some tires wear more evenly than other tires (eg. road vs. ADV). Some tires get noisier with wear than other tires.

I recently swapped PR4s with almost 21k kms on them, for new Conti TA2s. In terms of handling, they feel very similar to the worn ones that I just removed, but the TA2s are stiffer and noisier. The old PR4s wore evenly, so they did not noticeably degrade at the end of their lifespan.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 08:31:11 PM »
Yes, you are right a new tyre is betterthan any old one, however having had a few new bikes in the past with new tyres on I can assure you that some new tyres can give a much better feeling of confidence, noise and grip than another new tyre will
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 11:19:00 PM »
My 2 pence worth is exactly the same - new tyres are almost certainly better than the old ones you took off - that said the Michelin Pilot Road 5's I have on are fab - personal preference but love those tyres - good mileage- excellent grip - what more do you want ? :002:

Offline Gareth38

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Grenoble
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 11:04:50 AM »
I think I can agree with all your replies.
My last bike a T100 Bonneville 2015,  had an odd mix of fairly narrow Radial on the back and cross ply on the front as std fitment, even after putting better tyres on, the grip was never great, due mainly I think to crap quality suspension.
With the Tiger (I can't talk for the earlier generations)  we have (thanks to Triumph) very good geometry, excellent suspension and  sensible tyre widths considering the power output. The suspension is the key, as it always keeps the tyres planted to the road with zero bouncing around. I also believe that the premium tyre brands, especially radials,  are now so much better than the bikes I first rode in the late seventies.  So my point was there are probably no really bad road tyres that we can buy any more, it just comes down to personal preferences, I thought the Tourance nexts were excellent for the first 80% of their lives. The Scorpions remind me of a similar feel, (both are noisy I agree, without earplugs).  So I still maintain the main differences are old against new!
And this quality of roadholding/handling/comfort/security  and the creamy engine means, 2 years on, the Tiger is still the best bike i've ever owned and even if I win the lottery tomorrow I can't think of a better bike to buy.
Gareth38

Recent Topics

nonskid