Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Grease dripping from differential.  (Read 529 times)

Online anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
Grease dripping from differential.
« on: August 18, 2019, 08:37:43 PM »
Came out and saw a small puddle of oil one the floor under the diff boot drain hole. Turned out to be the drive shaft spline grease breaking down into oil. Bike about 4 years old and it has been a hot one here.  No hypoid oil loss and the puddle did not have the hypoid oil smell. Pulled the boot back and wiped down all the oil I could get to with a rag. So FYI to older bikes so it does not turn into an “oh crap” discovery.
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Offline Sidi1200

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Phantom Explorer
  • City / Town: Sydney
Re: Grease dripping from differential.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 09:53:34 AM »
Yep... I had exactly the same thing last year on my trip around this Big Island.. Some Hard (Crappy road surfaces) Long distances.. Cleaned inside the boot.. never had any issues since..
Checked on line here for advice and read some horror stories of Expensive fixes.. Luck has it that I didn't have anything to worry about..  All good.
Anyone can make it complicated..... Its pure Genius to make it Simple....
A Scotsman once told me that "the best glass to drink whisky out of, is the one that doesn't leak"

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 06:31:10 PM »
I had similar seepage, and it stopped - this was at about 63k miles. I was keeping an eye on the oil levels to see if a seal was failing. How did you diagnose it as the grease breaking down? I'm wondering if I should have it apart to grease the splines.

Online anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 08:12:43 AM »
Same color and there was a more solid clump in the shaft housing. Plus did not smell like hypoid oil.
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Offline Sidi1200

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Phantom Explorer
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 03:52:46 AM »
OooooH ! I should mention ... After doing research here @Tiger Explorer Forum, I dumped the Diff Fluid and put fresh stuff in... too easy.. still no issues..
Anyone can make it complicated..... Its pure Genius to make it Simple....
A Scotsman once told me that "the best glass to drink whisky out of, is the one that doesn't leak"

Recent Topics