Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gen 1 vs Gen 2  (Read 2533 times)

Offline AngusR

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Rochdale
Re: Gen 1 vs Gen 2
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 09:29:45 PM »
I just wanted to add my impressions. I’ve had two Gen 1 Explorers. The last one I kept for 5 years and around 34,000 miles. Both were excellent bikes. I upgraded to the Gen 2 earlier this year and was impressed with the upgrades, but one issue really made the bike unenjoyable. The issue for me was engine heat. The bike really kicked out more heat and made it particularly uncomfortable in hot weather. Even an unusually warm day in February (20c) and I noticed the increased heat. Spain in June (34c) was almost intolerable. I took the bike to Italy in July and decided to take off the screen and use a better ventilated jacket. This made it more tolerable in higher ambient temperatures than Spain (37 to 41c). I decided on return to England to test ride a BMW 1250GSA with a view to purchasing something that didn’t kick out as much heat. For me, although the engine ran cooler, the GS didn’t ride as well as a Triumph. In the end I decided to upgrade to a Tiger1200. I’ve just ran the bike in with around 1200 miles now. The bike runs cooler than a Mk2. I’ve ridden in 33c ambient temperature without feeling uncomfortable. I really like the TFT display. I found the display on the Gen2 was too small (clock and temperature) and couldn’t be seen in bright sunlight. I like the keyless ignition on the Tiger. I definitely like how much more lively and responsive the engine feels. I think the upgrade between Gen2 and Tiger1200 is more noticeable than between Gen 1 and Gen 2. Whilst I had the Gen 2, I seriously thought about swapping back to the Gen1 (maybe rose tinted glassses). Now, there is no way I’d swap the Tiger 1200. Brilliant bike...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 09:36:04 PM by AngusR »

Offline Solidsnake

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Gällivare
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 10:42:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by AngusR [+]
I just wanted to add my impressions. I’ve had two Gen 1 Explorers. The last one I kept for 5 years and around 34,000 miles. Both were excellent bikes. I upgraded to the Gen 2 earlier this year and was impressed with the upgrades, but one issue really made the bike unenjoyable. The issue for me was engine heat. The bike really kicked out more heat and made it particularly uncomfortable in hot weather. Even an unusually warm day in February (20c) and I noticed the increased heat. Spain in June (34c) was almost intolerable. I took the bike to Italy in July and decided to take off the screen and use a better ventilated jacket. This made it more tolerable in higher ambient temperatures than Spain (37 to 41c). I decided on return to England to test ride a BMW 1250GSA with a view to purchasing something that didn’t kick out as much heat. For me, although the engine ran cooler, the GS didn’t ride as well as a Triumph. In the end I decided to upgrade to a Tiger1200. I’ve just ran the bike in with around 1200 miles now. The bike runs cooler than a Mk2. I’ve ridden in 33c ambient temperature without feeling uncomfortable. I really like the TFT display. I found the display on the Gen2 was too small (clock and temperature) and couldn’t be seen in bright sunlight. I like the keyless ignition on the Tiger. I definitely like how much more lively and responsive the engine feels. I think the upgrade between Gen2 and Tiger1200 is more noticeable than between Gen 1 and Gen 2. Whilst I had the Gen 2, I seriously thought about swapping back to the Gen1 (maybe rose tinted glassses). Now, there is no way I’d swap the Tiger 1200. Brilliant bike...

I don't doubt that the Tiger is brilliant, I just think it's so much money so I'm not sure about trading.

I've decided to keep the bike for now and go to vacation next year, and then we'll see about perhaps upgrading, or maybe try the Tracer 900Gt which looks like a great machine even though it's smaller in cc and hp, you seem to get alot of bike for a reasonable price

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 08:19:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by Solidsnake [+]
you seem to get a lot of bike for a reasonable price

Yes! The whole Yamaha MT range & its derivatives are great bikes very competitively priced. But they have achieved it by building the bikes down to a price. They don't have the build quality feel = fit & finish of bodywork, quality of some components etc. IMHO it makes them feel a bit cheap & flimsy compared to Triumphs.  I'm sure mechanically they are totally reliable but know a lot of owners upgrade screens, seats, suspension etc. One thing to watch out for with the Tracer is it's permitted payload which isn't really enough for touring with a pillion & luggage.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 08:24:04 AM by Will Morgan »

Offline Solidsnake

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 08:30:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
Yes! The whole Yamaha MT range & its derivatives are great bikes very competitively priced. But they have achieved it by building the bikes down to a price. They don't have the build quality feel = fit & finish of bodywork, quality of some components etc. IMHO it makes them feel a bit cheap & flimsy compared to Triumphs.  I'm sure mechanically they are totally reliable but know a lot of owners upgrade screens, seats, suspension etc. One thing to watch out for with the Tracer is it's permitted payload which isn't really enough for touring with a pillion & luggage.

Edit: You're not paying for absolute premium quality though, keep that in mind. With the amount of stuff you get with a bike that's pretty much ready to go, it's a good deal. You might want to add fog lights, possibly a radiator guard and you're more than ready to go
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 09:17:53 AM by Solidsnake »

Offline AndrewNZ

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Richmond
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 08:51:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Solidsnake [+]
Well ok, but I won't expand my serarch just yet .D

You could ride it back!  :001:

Offline Solidsnake

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 09:06:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by AndrewNZ [+]
You could ride it back!  :001:

LOL true :D  :001:  :001:

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 09:39:29 AM »
Don't forget the 900GT with panniers has a load rating of only167Kg. That is going to be difficult to keep to if you take a pillion and luggage. It's a fine bike but built for a solo run me thinks. Also, Yamaha state panniers OR top box with this bike, not both, one assumes for stability purposes. Load rating on the T12 is 223Kg-230Kg model dependent, quite a difference but then it is a dearer bike. Add panniers to the weight of the Triumph to be fair, say 12Kg-15Kg and you still have a large carrying capacity difference.

Offline Solidsnake

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2019, 09:46:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Don't forget the 900GT with panniers has a load rating of only167Kg. That is going to be difficult to keep to if you take a pillion and luggage. It's a fine bike but built for a solo run me thinks. Also, Yamaha state panniers OR top box with this bike, not both, one assumes for stability purposes. Load rating on the T12 is 223Kg-230Kg model dependent, quite a difference but then it is a dearer bike. Add panniers to the weight of the Triumph to be fair, say 12Kg-15Kg and you still have a large carrying capacity difference.

Yeah it would be. I was thinking for the past couple of weeks that I should testride it possibly order one for next summer, but I was fiddling around with my Tiger on Monday and then I realized how much I actually love my Tiger.
It handled perfectly on my long trip this summer, no issues with anything at all, and it's very nimble in the twisties for such a big bike.

But I made this thread because as much as I love it, the gen 2 and gen 3 are interesting to me. Probably Gen 2 over 3, but only a testride and comparions between the two would decide that.

But I'll keep the 2013 XC next summer and take it on another long trip and see how I feel after that.

Offline Solidsnake

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2019, 12:38:54 AM »
For some reason I can't help myself, I keep going to Triumphs website and configuring Xcx's :D I should get a reasonable amount of cashings for my bike on a trade-in next year, could be interesting ...

I have to admit that the Super Tenere looks good too

Recent Topics