Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: [Keyless] NiK's act of contrition  (Read 1461 times)

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: [Keyless] NiK's act of contrition
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2019, 09:27:37 AM »
Making some theoretical progress!

This article (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjUxp_imrTkAhUPzhoKHTIbA_UQFjAAegQIABAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftches.iacr.org%2Findex.php%2FTCHES%2Farticle%2Fdownload%2F8289%2F7639%2F&usg=AOvVaw1mQcQvEz0z3fRlET8cYgaO) reveals that Triumph's keyless system (actually designed by Pektron, as I suspected) works with the bike sending Low Frequency (134 kHz) signals to the keyfob and said keyfob responding in Ultra High Frequency (433 MHz).

The central system seemingly has difficulties to get answers from the keyfob, so I assume that my interference problem lies in the 433 MHz band (as expected). However, protecting this very narrow band doesn't sound that good an idea. My PhD isn't in physics, but I suspect interferences to work a bit like sound, with lots of harmonics producing lots of complex effects. So, by how much should I broaden my filtering objective? Or am I nitpicking too much (as often ;-) when I could just go for a generic broad band EM filter?

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2019, 02:28:03 PM »
Generic filtering should be fine.  Aim to knock off all high frequencies coming from the LED lights.
Ferrite beads on the power wiring close to the lights, maybe some ceramic capacitors across the power leads inside the light housings.
Alternatively, do you really need those extra lights?  The gen3 LED lights are pretty good.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2019, 05:31:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by KenW [+]
Generic filtering should be fine.  Aim to knock off all high frequencies coming from the LED lights.
Ferrite beads on the power wiring close to the lights, maybe some ceramic capacitors across the power leads inside the light housings.
Thanks Ken!
Depending on the cost, I'll try a generic low-pass filter.

*Originally Posted by KenW [+]
Alternatively, do you really need those extra lights?  The gen3 LED lights are pretty good.
I ALWAYS need more lights.
I need them!
So badly!

PS:I know I'm sick, but it clearly doesn't help ;-)

PPS: On a more serious note, I had it in the past: nightly countryside ride, cornering, the starter/headlight fuse blows out. Believe me having those independently powered pair of Chinese crap saved my *$$!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2019, 05:08:19 PM »
Latest news: I installed beads (ripped from old USB cables) in both my lights lines.
It did absolutely nothing to the interferences.

I'm afraid I could be facing a radiating interference situation. I'll dig deep inside the lamps to see if I can devise any sort of "grounded" shielding (without shorting all the thing, prefereably ;-).

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2019, 06:17:00 PM »
NiK, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an overly sensitive or weak keyfob design rather than the Chinese fogs being terrible. As I say my “premium quality” German powered tank bag ring seems to be the culprit in my case.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2019, 03:30:44 PM »
Based on past (bad) experience with the Mk3, I'd agree with you.
Coincidentally, this morning, the whole electronic add-ons seemed to go wild. ABS, TC, Suspensions all went missing (according to the dash at least; it was raining cats and dogs and I didn't feel like checking the reality of all that). The CC was in nominal state though...

I had just filled the tank and I might have shut the thing off then on, maybe too quickly. Now that I think it over, it looks like the dummy who programmed the bike might have overlooked borderline conditions...

Nevertheless,  I'll try my best to make this overly fragile onboard eletronics work with my harmless aux lights.

Recent Topics

nonskid