Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mk3 Homemade Sat Nav Mount  (Read 5704 times)

Tigerni and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Xtof

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer Xrt '19
  • City / Town: Antwerpen
Re: Mk3 Homemade Sat Nav Mount
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 02:09:28 PM »
I'm checking with a local metal-shop if they could and would be interested in producing a single or small batch of brackets.

Alternative is testing it in 3D printed material. I'm also checking that angle.

Online jannerman

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Plymouth
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 10:46:56 PM »
I'd buy one of these no probs, very professional looking!

Isn't it interesting that a well motivated chap with a bright idea and no small amount of skill can analyse a situation, recognise the important factors and then go on to produce a far better solution than the commercial outfits have.

They just want to stamp out a bit of alloy plate, paint it black with a fancy logo, chuck in a couple of clips and screws and charge £80 or more so they can maximise their profits, while @T800XC has not just created a high mount but has actually addressed all the other issues we've been agonising over and works properly.

Bloody well done!  :047:

Online T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: English Riviera
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 04:22:37 PM »
After more tinkering yesterday I re-bent my previous frame to adjust the angles and improve a couple of clearances. I've sketched the basics of what I think I'm using, although I need to make a new frame as close as possible to these dimensions to fully test it.

For those wanting to try their hand at making one, or for giving the details to a metal-basher to do it for you, attached are some PDFs showing my sketches. You'll want to make the bends as tight / sharp as possible to ensure these dimensions work as intended. I just used a 4" bench vice and some gentle persuasion to bend mine but I could do with a half decent metal former to improve on this.

The clamp and link bar have been specifically designed for use with the plate from the Triumph GPS Mount Kit (A9828035) that I use with my Zumo 550. You may want to make some changes if you're using a different mount.

The 2 bolts used for fixing the frame to the cast alloy sub-frame on the bike are M8 x 45mm stainless hex button heads. I used M8 Nyloc nuts and fitted black nylon washers under the bolt heads to protect the bike frame. Ideally I'd prefer to use some M8 shoulder bolts here but couldn't find anything suitable at short notice, and my lathe was playing up so I couldn't make them from spare M10 bolts. Still, the fully-threaded M8 bolts seem to be working just fine.

The 2 bolts used to mount the clamp to the frame are M6 x 16mm stainless hex button heads, with M6 Nyloc nuts.

The single bolt used to fix the link bar to the base clamp is an M6 x 25mm stainless hex button head, with M6 Nyloc nut.
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Online jannerman

• Explorer Member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 06:43:57 PM »
Thanks for the drawings, very nicely done, if I may say. I would love to make this myself, I used to be a machinist in a former life, before I went into IT, so this is pretty straightforward stuff.

I'm googling like crazy trying to find where on earth I can get access to machine tools in my locality, I don't really want to fill up my garage with a lathe as well (+ cost) just to make a one off, nor hand fabricate it. That brings back too many memories of filing test pieces during my apprenticeship in the 1970s  :005:

Can't find any college courses or art institutions that are offering anything (I'm sure they used to back in the day) argh!

If anybody has any bright ideas about places I can try, or what to search for, please share!  :440:

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 11:08:26 PM »
Having made a mounting plate for myself which sits on the plastic binnacle, I have no interest in making this design.
But that doesn't stop me from commenting on it.   :002:
Firstly, couldn't that aluminium bracket be fairly easily formed by manually forcing strip around a round object like a pipe?
Secondly, the other bits scream out to me as eminently 3D-printable.
(I own a small 3D printer, but I'm no designer.)

Online jannerman

• Explorer Member
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2019, 11:27:50 PM »
Please forgive my ignorance but are 3D printed materials strong enough to resist the bending forces without beefing up this design? I only ask because the other 3D printed designs I've seem look rather bulky and I presumed this was to make up for a lack of strength.

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2019, 12:10:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by jannerman [+]
Please forgive my ignorance but are 3D printed materials strong enough to resist the bending forces without beefing up this design? I only ask because the other 3D printed designs I've seem look rather bulky and I presumed this was to make up for a lack of strength.
1. Yes, 3D printed plastic would be weaker than machined aluminium.  The parts could be increased in thickness to compensate.
2. My Garmin GPS's mounting bracket is made of plastic.
3. The bracket could be 3D printed in ABS.  Your electric drill outer casing is most likely made of ABS plastic.  Tough stuff.

Online T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2019, 11:54:04 AM »
If you look in the photos at the start of this topic you'll see the following basic 3D printed bracket that I had made a while back...

This was made using the SLS (Selective Laser Sintering) 3D printing process and is both very strong and very rigid. I also had some bar-mounted clamps made for the other end of this fixture when I used it on my 800XC. I could have re-used these parts for the 1200 but I wanted to try to eliminate the tiny amount of flex that they had, hence the use of the Triumph mounting plate on the back of the GPS, and the CNC machined aluminium clamp that I made for fitting to the frame. I'm fortunate that I have both a lathe and an old CNC mill so this was pretty straight forward.

It's possible to make all parts for the design that I'm using (including the GPS plate which saves buying the Triumph one) from the same SLS nylon material. The bracket, clamp and link bar could all be modified slightly to improve rigidity and these would be very easy to get printed. The frame design can easily be changed to beef it up in places and add bracing at the bends to reduce the flexing. The base clamp part could also be integral to the frame design so all made as one piece.

However...the company that I used in the UK to make previous parts use 3D printers where the dimensions of my frame design are possibly just greater than the limit of what they can print. The downside of 3D printing the frame would likely be the cost because it's base on volume. If they can nest the frame multiple times in their printer bed then that helps with pricing as you could get several frames made for the same price as one. Think of an empty box where you have to pay for the overall volume (LxDxH) but if you can fit other parts inside the empty box and get them all made at the same time then it saves money!

Offline Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2019, 12:49:17 PM »
Hi T800XC

Have been watching this post with interest as last week I PX'd my Gen2 for a Gen3 and consequently I'm without a SatNav at all.

It came to me in a blinding flash that potentially our old friend Batzen may be just the person we all need to bring your idea to market, Would you have any objections if we followed up on this? Cheers

Regards
Simmo   
2019 Tiger 1200 XRT in White fitted with Puig Touring Screen, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, Givi Trekker Outback 58L Box and Corben Heated Seat.

Online T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2019, 01:53:09 PM »
No probs Simmo, but I did ask him a few months back and he had no plans to look at doing a sat-nav holder for the Mk3. However he may be able to get the frames made and we could get the brackets 3D printed?

Recent Topics

nonskid