Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mk3 Homemade Sat Nav Mount  (Read 11014 times)

Offline guiri

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Mk3 Homemade Sat Nav Mount
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2019, 02:30:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Xtof [+]
And open to good ideas or criticism as well

Hi Xtof

As you are proposing the design without the countersink, which I fully agree with, you might want to include an M6 washer along with the 20 mm M6 bolt needed to attach the RAM ball. Otherwise, you'll be tightening the bolt into the nice powder coating! And it's important to get a really tight fix otherwise it's a point of rotation (I discovered)!

Cheers
guiri

Offline Xtof

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrt '19
  • City / Town: Antwerpen
« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2019, 02:40:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by guiri [+]
Hi Xtof

As you are proposing the design without the countersink, which I fully agree with, you might want to include an M6 washer along with the 20 mm M6 bolt needed to attach the RAM ball. Otherwise, you'll be tightening the bolt into the nice powder coating! And it's important to get a really tight fix otherwise it's a point of rotation (I discovered)!

Cheers
guiri

Hey Guiri,

That's exactly it, without countersink, and with a washer to put under it and increase the pressure. Maybe even put in two washers for the M6 hole, so one can be put on top as well, now I think of it.
Can you also tell me your experience with the M8 bolt on the sides: what length did you use?

Ciao!

Offline guiri

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2019, 02:45:52 PM »
Can you also tell me your experience with the M8 bolt on the sides: what length did you use?

I used 45 mm bolts so far, but have 50 mm shoulder type bolts on order (will perhaps receive today and I'll let you know then). I mentioned earlier in the thread that there isn't a lot of room for washers with the 45 mm bolts (but I did use one with a flanged head).

Cheers
guiri

Offline Xtof

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2019, 03:27:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by guiri [+]
Flanged head

That's what I had in mind as well, and I'm about to order 50mm ones, but wanted your 0.02 before ordering wrong types.
I'll go for 50 so there's no issue with washers and people have enough length.

I put the parts I'd order in attachment on the 'order' post.

Offline guiri

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2019, 04:08:38 PM »
That's what I had in mind as well, and I'm about to order 50mm ones, but wanted your 0.02 before ordering wrong types.
I'll go for 50 so there's no issue with washers and people have enough length.
I don't even want to get into an argument about the currency of my 0.02 :087:

Ok here is a picture of the half shoulder bolt I have just had delivered...

There is approx 21 mm of shoulder and 29 mm of thread (so it's not perfect). The cap head would benefit from a washer and so 50 mm is fine (there is no 45 mm option anyway). I will try with some washers to avoid too much bolt thread showing. And I will install with some grease as T800XC pointed out that it is sliding into a sleeve.

I previously used a 45 mm flanged button head. No need for a metal washer at the head but it would benefit from a metal washer between the bracket and the nut (which I didn't do). I think the dilemma with a flanged head bolt is that the perfect size is about 47 mm (without showing too much thread outside the nut).

You can see a 45 mm bolt in use here...

There are rubber washers (squished) either side of the cast metal and no other washers.

Cheers
guiri

Offline Xtof

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2019, 10:10:27 PM »
Excellent info, thanks! I'll indeed go with the 50mm stuff.
And yeah, the shoulder head seems a bit too short for optimal usage, but I haven't been able to find them in 'choosable' lengths for the shoulder...

Oh, and as for the currency... I'm not a difficult man. I'll take beer, wine or whisky...  :063: Just not when I'm driving  :305:

Offline guiri

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2019, 04:15:56 PM »
For those that want to fix the RAM ball with a flat head M6 bolt rather than countersunk, a conical spring washer might be a good option to protect the paint and also get a good tightness (with or without threadlock)...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/6mm-Conical-Spring-Washer-Stainless/dp/B07R98VV3G

Cheers
guiri

Offline guiri

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2019, 09:36:25 PM »
This picture shows a countersunk bolt, it's the bracket I tested last weekend and have just taken off the bike...

This picture shows a button head bolt and conical spring washer, on the other (spray painted) bracket with a normal M6 hole ...

This picture shows the bracket complete with self adhesive rubber feet...

And installed on the bike...

A detail of the washer arrangement (not tightened up yet, there is a metal washer just before the nyloc)...

Offline guiri

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2019, 09:39:47 PM »
I should add, a massive thanks to T800XC for the design  :031: :821: :047: :046: :152:

Online jannerman

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Plymouth
« Reply #109 on: September 05, 2019, 09:42:46 PM »
Thanks, excellent info and pictures, looks spot on  :002:. Did you use it with only the end bolts for support at all? If so, do the rubber pads make very much of a difference?

Recent Topics

nonskid