Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Overheating? and why now?  (Read 2308 times)

Offline FellZebra

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Overheating? and why now?
« on: August 23, 2019, 02:33:56 PM »
I’ve just parked up on my 2012 Explorer and there was coolant running from what I’m assuming is some sort of an overflow pipe for the radiator system, on left next to oil filter
From what I could see it had list about half a pint, obviously I don’t know how much had been lost when moving slowly through traffic to get to my destination.
Ok it’s a warm day but nothing that I’ve not ridden in before so can’t understand why this has happened.
Can top up the coolant and have checked that the fan kicks in when it’s getting hot.
Anyone had problems like this?
It’s going to be warm all weekend and would like to avoid a repeat as I planning on a long ride Saturday

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Overheating? and why now?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 03:47:10 PM »
I had this problem on my gen1 TEX. It turned out to be the OEM hose clamps on the radiator. Tightening them made it worse. I ended up changing them out with regular home hardware stainless hose clamps. Mine was leaking from the hose at the radiator filler cap when the engine was very hot in stop and go traffic on a hot day.

Also, don't overfill the overflow bottle. Keep the level at the lower level mark on the bottle.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 03:52:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I had this problem on my gen1 TEX. It turned out to be the OEM hose clamps on the radiator. Tightening them made it worse. I ended up changing them out with regular home hardware stainless hose clamps. Mine was leaking from the hose at the radiator filler cap when parked after with the engine very hot in stop and go traffic on a hot day.

Also, don't overfill the overflow bottle. Keep the level at the lower level mark on the bottle. It can also overflow under similar circumstances.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline TRITIGEX

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: DH
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 05:31:53 PM »
First check  the operation of the cooling fan during normal operation. As the coolant heates to the set  temperature,  the fan should start running. If not, check for free rotation of the fan. If not, remove what is blocking the fan. And check the fuse, it may be blown by the blocked fan. If not, it might be a faulty temperature sensor.
Another possible reasons for coolant spillage is simply overfilling the coolant reservoir.
How do I know?  Had a blocked fan twice, blown fuse as result. Overfilling the reservoir on my Tiger 1050, Tiger 1200 and Speed3  always resulted  in dumping coolant when it got hot. Triumphs do not like  reservoirs filled to MAX, halfway is better.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 08:36:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by TRITIGEX [+]
First check  the operation of the cooling fan during normal operation. As the coolant heates to the set  temperature,  the fan should start running. If not, check for free rotation of the fan. If not, remove what is blocking the fan. And check the fuse, it may be blown by the blocked fan. If not, it might be a faulty temperature sensor.
OP had said that he checked that the fan was kicking in, in his first post.

My first leak event happened when I keyed off while the fan was still running.

Offline FellZebra

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 10:14:37 AM »
Thanks
Yes the fan turns feely and kicks in as it should.
As for the coolant being towards the lower mark on the reservoir, well following from what it lost yesterday that's about where it is now so I'd not refilled before going out yesterday evening.
Don't Think it got hot enough for the fan kicking in, but also no coolant overflowing. I'll see what happens today.
 :067:

Online mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 12:01:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by FellZebra [+]
Thanks

As for the coolant being towards the lower mark on the reservoir, well following from what it lost yesterday that's about where it is now so I'd not refilled before going out yesterday evening.

That's probably what it was then. As others have said, the minimum marker seems to be where the bike is happiest. That's where mine is and although the fan will often kick in when queued at junctions or in slow traffic it never seems to show an increase on the dash so I just leave it alone and ride it
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 05:26:11 AM »
I think it is a Triumph thing.  My speed triple wanted to be just a little below the low mark.  Anything over that would just dribble out.

Offline belpas

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2013 explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Up North Mate !!!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 10:49:47 PM »
Always start with a new cap on the rad filler pipe,you will be surprised how much sealing gets lost on the rubber washer underside the cap after a couple of years or more.   
I work, i ride bikes, i work, i ride bikes, i work, i ride bikes....

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 08:32:53 AM »
Had it several times.
Most often, it was the bottle being over the Min mark (Tiger 1050 and Explorer Mk1).
Twice, it was the radiator cap needed to be replaced (Tiger 1050 again and my second Explorer Mk1).

Recent Topics