Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Screens  (Read 757 times)

Offline rivets

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: West Country
Screens
« on: August 28, 2019, 08:48:05 AM »
Hi. I’ve tried to search the forum but have drawn a blank.
My question is “are the screens interchangeable between generations?”
I have a 19 XRT for clarification

The reason is I want to cut one down for summer riding so for that reason don’t want to pay full price !
(It worked on my Multistrada so hoping for same effect on the Tiger)
Cheers

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Re: Screens
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 09:15:43 AM »
Gen 1 to Gen 2 screens are not compatible. Not unless you are handy with a drill. The holes are in different locations. Now what I can't answer is, are gen two compatible with Gen 3 bike. I'd suggest simply looking at the Triumph EPC on line to see if the part numbers are the same. Or an aftermarket slte such as Powerbronze etc

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 09:33:36 AM »
The Gen 1 manual screen is not compatible with the Gen 2 electric screens, but I assume the Gen 2 & Gen 3 are the same and interchangeable.

I believe your 2019 XRT has a “high touring” screen as standard. To avoid cutting it down try to get the lower screen that’s fitted to the XR or XRX = I got one from a forum member who was upgrading to the XRT high screen, or search Ebay.

If you want an even lower screen Powerbronze make a much smaller fly screen that only covers the instruments/TFT = and they offer a discount to us forum members!

Offline rivets

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 12:16:02 PM »
thanks. good point about parts catalogue
I'll do some more research, and keep an eye on eBay.

If anyone has a Gen 2/3 screen, even if damaged / scratched near the top, collecting dust in the garage I'll take it off your hands!!

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 04:28:07 AM »
Triumph sells a small summer screen as well if you didn't want to try and cut one down.

Offline rivets

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 06:47:20 AM »
Thanks vsteel but at £189 it’s a smidge pricey. As I mentioned I cut a screen down for my Multistrada a few years back and it went well enough so happy to have a go

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 07:18:48 AM »
Powerbronze do summer screens for the Gen 2 for £59. If you look up Gen 3 on their website these screens won't come up. If they are compatible with Gen 3 as the lads above say then that would do the trick.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 07:42:51 AM by XCaTel »

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 03:16:38 PM »
I’ve not figured out how to get real clean (no buffeting) air even with all the adjustments for my Gen1.
I’ve got a CalSci screen that is much bigger but only a little better. The cleanest air is when I stand on the pegs.
I’m going to remove the screen altogether and see if that does the trick, then go from there. Maybe cut down the stock screen.
I think a chopped down, dark smoked screen would look great. How it would work? I don’t know.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 04:36:38 PM »
I am happy with my Givi/Kappa AirFlow windscreen. It is two-piece and the height is easily adjusted from the saddle without tools in seconds. And, you can remove the top half to ride in 'sport mode' in hot weather.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline isb

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Hell
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 04:02:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
I’ve not figured out how to get real clean (no buffeting) air even with all the adjustments for my Gen1.
I’ve got a CalSci screen that is much bigger but only a little better. The cleanest air is when I stand on the pegs.
I’m going to remove the screen altogether and see if that does the trick, then go from there. Maybe cut down the stock screen.
I think a chopped down, dark smoked screen would look great. How it would work? I don’t know.

I have a short screen that just covers the clocks. I put it on for the warmer weather to get more airflow. It is better for buffeting, but still has plenty. Not as clean as standing in the pegs. I also have standard and touring screens and have tried all with and without batzen brackets. All buffet to differing degrees. I don’t have the winglets - those supposedly help.
Cheers, Ian

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who think there are two kinds of people, and those that don't.

Recent Topics