Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Unbearable Engine Heat - mine just got cooler?  (Read 363 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
Unbearable Engine Heat - mine just got cooler?
« on: August 29, 2019, 10:57:37 PM »
Since I bought my Gen-2 XRX-Low new in 2016, like others the engine heat has always been - well rather hot and although close to, not completely unbearable. But enough to think - ye gods! Anyway, had my 10k service recently, during which the coolant was changed and also the fuel system balanced. The technician who carried out the work, noted when carrying out the fuel system balance that it "well out" - showed me a before and after picture and they were chalk and cheese.

Anyway to cut to the reason for this thread. Get back on bike and it drives like a completely different bike now the fueling is sorted, feels much more responsive and rapid (and I haven't re-applied the 12 minute tune yet either). However it was only after a couple of days that I realised that the engine heat is now significantly less - probably about 1/3rd of what it used to be (engine water temp hasn't changed), which got me thinking about previous bikes - when they ran weak on fuel, they ran hot. My fueling after being well out, is now bang on and the bike is running significantly cooler.

Anyone else find this after their 10k service who had unbearable engine heat - as mine now is very bearable, nowhere near what it used to be.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Unbearable Engine Heat - mine just got cooler?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 03:42:36 AM »
To clarify, they balanced (synchronized) the throttle bodies?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 07:34:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
To clarify, they balanced (synchronized) the throttle bodies?

Yes. They were way out, but now all sync’d. Coolant temp is where it should be. Just now significantly much less heat fe,t blowing back from the engine (in the way others have complained on here before)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 04:17:37 PM »
Syncing the TBs will certainly smooth out the engine, but I'm not sure about lowering the heat output -- unless the dealer found that one of the TBs was getting too much air via an air leak around the rubber boot between the TB and the engine block.  When I did my own major service at 20k I noticed that one TB was not properly inserted into the rubber boot -- the lip was turned under on one side.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics

nonskid