Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Could head wobble be caused by rigid top box mount  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Cragman7

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XC 2014
  • City / Town: Wellingborough
Could head wobble be caused by rigid top box mount
« on: August 31, 2019, 10:57:40 AM »
Anyone else had this ?

I found the original top box to be to small and it never negatively effected the bikes handling.
When I upgraded to a Givi Trekker 52L I took off the sliding mount and fitted just the Givi plate. Now when the larger Givi top box is fitted and speeds are over 110 mph, the bars start to wobble, at 125mph, it's a serious problem and feels dangerous. Do people think that re fitting the sliding tray would absorb some of the wobble effects ?
If I ride without the box, there is just the slightest wobble at 125, nothing scary though.

I've kinda got used to having the bigger box to put helmets and other junk in and miss it when it's not there but on fast fun days out with mates the bar wobble tends to get in the way.

Thanks

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Re: Could head wobble be caused by rigid top box mount
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 01:53:45 PM »
Fitting top boxes and panniers totally destroys the bike's aerodynamics. I have the same effect as I hit 122 mph. I don't think that the way it's attached will make any difference. It's the box that's the issue.  You really just need to limit the speed when you have all the luggage stuff on.

I know someone will chime in with something about a land speed record on a bike with panniers, but it's really a common problem with these sorts of bikes. What you need is two bikes!

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 02:34:38 PM »
MTCW: 125 mph on a T12/TEX with luggage is exceedingly -- 'brave'.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline oxidefilm

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '13 Tex
  • City / Town: NYC
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 03:30:52 PM »
2 thoughts:

If you're riding 100+ you should be on a track and if you're on a track you should probably take off the luggage.

If you're not on a track, riding that fast is one of many reasons why motorcycles are treated as pariahs Police and people. The more a$$hole behavior we display, the more cops will hate us and group all motorcycle riders into the category of outlaws and the more harassment we will have to deal with.

Offline Robbomeister

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 03:49:52 PM »
Agree 100% with last two posts. If you are mug enough to ride 100+ on UK roads with luggage, there’s only one box you’ll end up in. Trouble is, you’ll probably take an innocent out as well. In 30 years in fire and rescue, I've dealt with too  many biker fatalities to read this type of drivel.  :157:

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 04:53:16 PM »
I'd check your spokes for looseness-I had a massive wobble the end of last year and that was what it turned out to be. I found this out after a broken bike and several broken bones

Offline TRITIGEX

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: DH
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 05:57:50 PM »
Increasing preload at the rear helps. Some tires are more stable like the Bridgestone T31 and A41.
I have both GIVI  Outback 42ltr and 58 ltr boxes. With the T31's no problem up to 115mph/180kmh but with the current Conti TA3 only stable up to 100mph/160kmh

Online mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 08:14:24 PM »
This is not new, My VFR800 back in 2000 had exactly the same with luggage fitted and also gave a huge tank slapper at around 30mph if you let go of the bars.

Of course it will affect the handling.

That's why Triumph tried to help by designing the movable frames and also why they put warnings of exceeding recommended speed limits in the handbook
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 08:49:48 PM »
I would suggest that  the  box is causing the issue  by  the wind pushing the rear of the bike down and making the front too light ....head shake is most always brought on by too light of a front end.....add in some rear preload and see what happens....

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 10:28:30 PM »
I must have missed the part where the OP said this was on UK roads...... :164:

Recent Topics