Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Could head wobble be caused by rigid top box mount  (Read 1040 times)

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
Re: Could head wobble be caused by rigid top box mount
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 05:00:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by mjab [+]
This is not new, My VFR800 back in 2000 had exactly the same with luggage fitted and also gave a huge tank slapper at around 30mph if you let go of the bars.

Of course it will affect the handling.

That's why Triumph tried to help by designing the movable frames and also why they put warnings of exceeding recommended speed limits in the handbook

30 mph - that did'nt give much option !

will be the box and the general suspension set up  i would think  - i came back from Italy through Germany in August and pushed my girl with three boxes and tank bag on a part of unrestricted motorway ( not that much left) - yep above 100mph not recommended from me  - was ok at 100 on a smooth not windy motorway  but i wouldnt want to go much further     
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline Cragman7

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XC 2014
  • City / Town: Wellingborough
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2019, 07:12:26 PM »
Cheers to all on the positive and helpful suggestions. The tyres are T31's (awesome tyres) the pressures are right. I'll look into pre load and check the spokes. Lots of miles today without the top box and no wobbles at any speed, even high numbers. A top box is great for a day's fun to keep waterproofs, a drink and a few bits in plus somewhere to stash the helmet and gloves when you stop. It's just a buggar if you want to have some spirited fun and it causes the wobble.
RE the speed, we all buy bikes for different reasons, mine is for fun. I'm super safe in built up areas and around traffic but on empty, remote and quite roads, I and hundreds like me enjoy pushing on a bit. My choice, my fun and at 56yrs old, riding for most of it and racing for some of it, I'm happy that I limit any risk to others. Just for fun, I did a 2 laps with full luggage at a Donnington track day (at lunch when Marshals were playing) in 2018. The side boxes do rub 😢 Expensive silliness 🤦‍♂️

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 07:43:41 PM »
TEXs do get light on the front end at speeds over 100. Maybe consider using a tank bag for heavier items to move the weight forward a bit.

I always ride with a top box, for the same reasons that you do. I have two sets of Givi side bags (37 ltr and 46 ltr plus the 52 ltr top box. But the great thing about the Givi system is that they are all interchangeable. So I can use the 46 ltr or the 37 ltr side bag as a top box. The 37 ltr is a lower profile for strafing.

BTW, I have recently started riding my TEX solo with just about 100% preload all the time. I find it rides and handles better using 4 clicks out from all in and factory recommended 10 clicks damping.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 08:32:23 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2019, 08:31:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by sirsidneyrd [+]
30 mph - that did'nt give much option !

Didn't happen at 25 or 35 mph.
Easily solved by not letting go of the bars as you slowed down  :038: :038: :038:
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline Robbomeister

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2019, 08:34:58 PM »
Well mate, good luck to you and all the other idiots who ‘push on a bit’ and decide to ignore the laws that are in place to keep us safe on the roads. More bikers are killed on quiet rural roads than around towns so your logic is well and truly flawed. As you say, it’s your choice and I’m going to exercise my choice and leave this forum. There is no place in my life for such irresponsible and selfish views and actions. Good luck and best wishes to the rest.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2019, 10:21:38 AM »
Well mate, good luck to you and all the other idiots who ‘push on a bit’ and decide to ignore the laws that are in place to keep us safe on the roads. More bikers are killed on quiet rural roads than around towns so your logic is well and truly flawed. As you say, it’s your choice and I’m going to exercise my choice and leave this forum. There is no place in my life for such irresponsible and selfish views and actions. Good luck and best wishes to the rest.

Robbomeister - I agree with the first part of post, but the second part about leaving the forum just because you don't agree with the views of others is a bit like throwing the dummy out of the pram. The forum has 7000+ members, with those sort of numbers you're always going to disagree with some people on any forum or social media site you are on. It's the same in any walk of life, you will come across people you don't agree with. There's an easy way to deal with it, state your own opinion or if you wish then just ignore them, simples...

Back to the topic...

Offline Saulius

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Jonava
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2019, 11:55:55 AM »
 Surprisingly, I have the same box setup as the CaptainTrips, but I easily travel 200km / h + with a passenger and fully loaded boxes. Tires- Anakee3. The motorcycle runs steadily like a train ...

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2019, 12:01:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Robbomeister [+]

Most readers will agree with you and your voice is needed. Don't leave.
--------
If not now, when?

Offline Saulius

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Jonava
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2019, 12:13:02 PM »
 Hey, let's pause the horses ... The fact that I have tested my motorcycle's capabilities on a German motorway does not mean that I ride this way ...

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2019, 01:16:43 PM »
I had three big Tigers since 2012. All of them were with the same huge topbox (Givi Trekker 52l, mounted on Givi polymer plate).
I experienced this behaviour (scary enough to stop accelerating, but not enough to change the colour of my underpants) only with my first Mk1. This was mitigated (but not solved) when I fitted Michelin Pilot Road (should have been PR2 at that time).

Neither my second ('14) Mk1 nor my current ('18) Mk3 ever exhibited such tendancy.

A given motorcycle is such a complex assembly of technical parts that it's hard to assess response to extreme conditions for every unit. Hence the lawyerish disclaimers that sometimes cover more space than actually useful information on the manual pages ;-)

Disclaimer: this post reflects only my personal opinion and might not apply to every sample of human being on this planet or any other.

Recent Topics

nonskid