Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Could head wobble be caused by rigid top box mount  (Read 1041 times)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Could head wobble be caused by rigid top box mount
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2019, 05:04:58 PM »
I keep my TEX under 100 mph, largely because I have no desire to do more than 100 mph. I have seen first hand what it looks like when your best bud is sliding down the road unconscious on his face after hitting a large animal, and have no desire to have that experience myself.

Having said that, if I wanted to do more than 100 mph, I would be more likely to want to do it on a sport-touring bike that has better aerodynamics for going that fast. Even then, I am mindful of the fact that at least one police officer was killed on an ST1300 during a high-speed pursuit, either due to the effects of the bike's emergency flasher on a mast, and/or the Avon tires that they were running at the time.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Cragman7

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XC 2014
  • City / Town: Wellingborough
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2019, 09:50:55 PM »
Lots of varied opinion from different folk in this one. I guess that is what makes forums so interesting. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it's a worry though when some can't engage with folk that think differently to them.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2019, 08:28:22 PM »
Just by coincidence, I was installing a backrest for my SO on my Kappa 52 ltr top box today and I noticed a small sticker on the inside of the lid, which states that the max recommended speed is 120 kph. I only bring this up because I had not noticed the sticker had a speed rating on it before today. It also says max load is 10 kg (and we all know how much I follow this limit).  :008:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2019, 10:03:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by TotnesSteve [+]
Most readers will agree with you and your voice is needed. Don't leave.

Let him go...we dont need members that throw a fit when things they dont like happen...this isn't kindergarten and its not a safe space either....

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2019, 08:21:34 AM »
I have full luggage all the time. Dead steady at 85 on the freeway. Bar shake at low speeds if I let go. I have k76s for the front tire. Funny but k60 did not shake at any speed.  90 through the desert smooth as can be (80 mph speed limit :150:).  125 your nuts!
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Offline itchyfeet

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Graphite TEX
  • City / Town: Stonehenge
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2019, 09:30:08 AM »
I would be very suprised if any of the negative posts about how we should behave would be expressed face to face in a pub for instance. I suspect if you overheard the original poster making these comments most would just ignore them or turn away. Why people feel the need to impose their views on a keyboard is beyond me. If you don't like or agree with whats written then you have the choice to not reply.

The original question has had some good suggestions though. When I travel through Germany down to Bavaria I am almost always left for dead by the big BMW's all fully kitted out. i use the original Triumph top box and set my cruise control to anywhere between 90-100mph depending on traffic flow. So if these other sports tourers and tourers can travel so much faster I don't think it is anything to do with the sliding rack but more to do with how much protection your screen provides diverting airflow. When Yamaha produced their FJR1300 sports tourer they would not originally provide a top box mount or even entertain their bikes being fitted with one. You had to use a company called 'shad' Yamaha said their newly slimmed down fairing profile would not allow a top box of sufficient size to be fitted. Or at least thats what the dealer told us as my best friend collected his in 2014.
I've recently fitted a madstad screen to my 2014 tex and now there is absolutely no buffeting, wobbles or shakes even above my normal cruising speeds. I'm sure pre load and tyre choice are also factors.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2019, 10:36:47 AM »
Not sure if anyone mentioned it but checking the play in the head bearing and also whether the wheels are correctly balanced (especially front) is also something that can  affect it when pushed. It's easy to assume the play in head is "ok" when is reality says it needs adjustment.

Problem is that multi factors are at play here, the shear weight at the rear, preload, aerodynamics, tyres, tyre balancing, head bearing adjustment. When you get a couple of the factors they gang up to make the problem worse.

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2019, 11:28:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by itchyfeet [+]
I would be very suprised if any of the negative posts about how we should behave would be expressed face to face in a pub for instance. I suspect if you overheard the original poster making these comments most would just ignore them or turn away. Why people feel the need to impose their views on a keyboard is beyond me. If you don't like or agree with whats written then you have the choice to not reply.

If I overheard the conversation no I would not say anything. If I was IN the conversation yes I would. Idiots riding down a public roadway at 125 mph on a 700 lbs bike are endangering every other person around. Then, referring to this thread, complaining about the head shake at those speeds. Autobahn exempt.
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2019, 05:36:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by anaheimtex [+]
If I overheard the conversation no I would not say anything. If I was IN the conversation yes I would.
Reminds me of an incident in our club. Eight bikes out for a weekend trip. One guy with low experience with his wife on the back was taking risks on an unpaved road (including passing other club members on the inside of turns). He was called out for it at dinner by the ride organizer. He subsequently quit the club. A while back, my wife ran into him at the store. He mentioned that he had voluntarily surrendered his motorcycle license due to a "number of police incidents". At one point, he had stuffed the bike in a ditch with his wife on board.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2019, 05:58:25 PM »
Nipped my head stock bearings up yesterday at 11k (no not been for the 10k service yet) and they were in need of doing. Lock nuts were barely finger tight. Only takes 20 mins. Been for a 250 mile ride today and the difference is very noticeable. Very pleased with the improvement. Not really noticed any degradation until this week when turn-in started to feel floppy, a bit like low tyre pressure. All good now.

Recent Topics