Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger trade in values  (Read 1124 times)

Offline itchyfeet

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Graphite TEX
  • City / Town: Stonehenge
Tiger trade in values
« on: September 04, 2019, 09:58:30 AM »
Hi all,

what experiences have you had regarding trading in higher milage Tigers?

My own local dealer said he would not entertain putting my bike in their showroom to sell despite it being in great condition because it had done 53k miles.

He reluctantly offered me £3500 for it or £3800 trade in on  a new bike.

If Triumph are really trying to compete with BMW, why do they value their own bikes so far behind their competition?

My bike has a full service history carried out by the very same dealer. Are our bikes that inferior to BMW's, is he just a bad dealer or is that a fair price?

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
Re: Tiger trade in values
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 03:44:40 PM »
when i first started dealing with my gen 3 bike heat problems , i called a BMW/ Triumph dealership about trading it in. They offered 12000, for a month old bike with 2000 miles. Cancelled that idea quick. Resale to a shop is generally never good. one reason is that they still have year old bikes sitting on the floor, not moving. :151:

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 04:09:30 PM »
It's not Triumph's fault (directly at least).
A dealer will only take your bike in one of the two following situations:
- The price is ridiculously low.
- You want to trade in for a new one.

It's roughly the same for cars.
A dealer doesn't make that much money on a used vehicle. He usually has to provide a guarantee of sort and can't therefore take too much risk in selling an old (so potentially soon failing) vehicle.

As for BMW (along with HD), the ridiculously high reselling prices are a direct consequence of the overhyped nature of their image. Many people just want a BMW because of the image they perceive will come with it. This takes prices higher. And a dealer will only pay a used bike as much as he will be able to resell it.
A friend of mines recently traded his 1200RT and was astonished by the low price his dealer offered (compared to the usual market price).

I'm on my third Tiger 1200 and I always accepted my dealer's offers, discussed with him each time, with evidences of expected resale value. I could've sell 10 or 15% higher on my own, but I ultimately chose the easiest way.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 04:31:17 PM »
Dealerships do potentially make a lot more money on used bikes than they make on new ones. The margins are slim on new bikes and the only discounts you will find are usually due to manufacturers rebates on leftover models.

Having said that, the trade-in price offered for used TEX's reflects both their resale value and their popularity (or lack thereof). No dealer wants a bike gathering dust in their showroom.

The best option for me is to sell (and buy) privately. I only bought my TEX from a dealer because they were going out of business as a Triumph dealership and needed to get rid of the demo unit that they had, which was the last Explorer of any kind that they had in the store.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline peejay1977

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 05:25:20 PM »
Mine isn't high mileage but I was recently offered £5800 trade in against either a new or used bike at Youles. Mines a Gen2 XR in great condition with 11000 miles on the clock and FSH. To me that seemed low seeing as I've seen them being sold for anything up to £4000 more than that.

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 05:57:04 PM »
These bikes and many others have horrible resale value....I bought a 3 year old 1200 EXP  with 1000 miles on it for 10K less than it cost the original owner....I always buy used when possible...no reason for me to lose my ass when someone else usually does it for me...:)

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 07:10:36 PM »
Poor trade in values have been the case since Moses was a boy. Value drops about 30% as soon as you ride it out the showroom. Harleys might have good resale, but personally I'd rather lose 30% than ride a Harley. Anyway, Moses didn't ride a Harley. It says in the bible "And yae, the roar of Moses Triumph was heard throughout the promised land" :008:

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 09:40:05 PM »
You have to look at the time and the mileage and accept that they reduce in value some quicker than others - it’s all about money - a bike over a certain age or mileage will be traded by a dealer - i understood that these pcps in the short term are effecting used values - ie flooding the market with 3-4 year old bikes - us peeps with older bikes will suffer because of this but not a lot you can do but keep going and the curve will flatten out in the end - my Tex is 7 years old and still going strong
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 10:15:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by sirsidneyrd [+]
You have to look at the time and the mileage and accept that they reduce in value some quicker than others - it’s all about money - a bike over a certain age or mileage will be traded by a dealer - i understood that these pcps in the short term are effecting used values - ie flooding the market with 3-4 year old bikes - us peeps with older bikes will suffer because of this but not a lot you can do but keep going and the curve will flatten out in the end - my Tex is 7 years old and still going strong
My 2012 runs just fine - not interested in changing it !! Prefer to waste my money on fuel and tyres just riding it !!
 :001:

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 01:43:11 AM »
 My dealer called me when he ordered their first Gen 2 TEX. He told me to order one set up exactly as if I were ordering it for myself. (I ordered the very first '12 model that he sold back in December of 2011...) I specced out a red XRT with all the goodies. He called me a couple of months later & told me the XRT had come in and would I like to come down & test ride it. I think it took me 15 minutes to ride the 25 miles to check it out! Anyway, after taking it out for a 20 minute ride I brought it back and Jeremy asked what I thought of it and would I be interested in trading for it. Long story short, they offered me $12,000 for my old bike on the trade, which was actually a great deal, but I had to turn it down because I just couldn't justify spending the $ on a new bike when my old one was just like new and set up exactly the way I wanted it.

Jon

Recent Topics