Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger trade in values  (Read 1125 times)

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
Re: Tiger trade in values
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 08:38:19 AM »
When my sept 2014 gen 1 went in for a fork rebuild I asked what the part-ex value would be against a new bike just out of curiosity. They offered me £5500. The bike had 35k on the clock.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Offline itchyfeet

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Graphite TEX
  • City / Town: Stonehenge
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 10:01:07 AM »
A lot of good replies and food for thought. i only went to my dealer for a fork rebuild and it was his suggestion to value my bike against the rather large 3-4 year old stock he had so i guess the pcp reply on here is accurate.

My real problem with the whole episode was the comments about my mileage. 53k on a 2014 bike.
just over 10k a year.
on a bike designed for commuting and long distant adventures.
I'm sure I read somewhere recently Hinkley Triumph experience factory tour states their bikes are engineered for 200k+

And my bike is too high for a dealer to sell?

Don't get me wrong, my bike is faultless, paintwork is unblemished, centre stand could do with re-powdercoat but thats it. And i will be keeping it.
The dealers attitude just suprised me, what do they tell the customers buying an old PCP bike with 30k on it? Don't come back?!!

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 04:16:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by itchyfeet [+]

Don't get me wrong, my bike is faultless, paintwork is unblemished, centre stand could do with re-powdercoat but thats it. And i will be keeping it.
The dealers attitude just suprised me, what do they tell the customers buying an old PCP bike with 30k on it? Don't come back?!!
I think that you are missing the point. The dealer does not decide what people are willing to buy. If I am in the market for a used bike and there are several good candidates available that appear to be in reasonable condition, I will choose one with lower mileage. Every time. And the fact is, that many (most?) bikes are purchased by people who will never really use them. So lower mileage bikes are common.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 08:33:10 PM »

My real problem with the whole episode was the comments about my mileage. 53k on a 2014 bike.
just over 10k a year.
on a bike designed for commuting and long distant adventures.
I'm sure I read somewhere recently Hinkley Triumph experience factory tour states their bikes are engineered for 200k+

Well done for riding your bike how it should be, my 2015 has 32000 on it now and I average around 8k per year.
The problem is there are far too many weekend warriors out there who ride their bikes to the nearest meeting place or café and park and pose all day with it then if a cloud comes over run for home.
Ask your dealer what average annual mileage for a bike is and you'll be shocked. Last time I was told it was around 2000 miles. I'll be doing more than that next week.
in 2015 I was offered £7500 on a 2 year old explorer with 11,000 miles and afer another dealer got involved got £1000 more then in 2017 I was offered only £6500 for my 2015 with 10500 on it. Still got it, with nitron shock and suspension sorted and the dealer knows he's lost a new bike buyer.
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline itchyfeet

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2019, 08:25:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I think that you are missing the point. The dealer does not decide what people are willing to buy. If I am in the market for a used bike and there are several good candidates available that appear to be in reasonable condition, I will choose one with lower mileage. Every time. And the fact is, that many (most?) bikes are purchased by people who will never really use them. So lower mileage bikes are common.

Hi,
    with all due respect it is not me who is missing the point. Not being stupid I understand that low mileage bikes will always sell over higher ones.
My point is, Triumph or at least my dealer is reluctant to sell a bike with (according to Triumph) a bike with a quarter of its engineered life span on it.Thats it, thats the point. They are unwilling to sell one of their flagship models because of the mileage? What message does that give out about their faith in their own product? If my dealer had said'£3800 and we will put it over there as a good used example of what these bikes can do' That would be different.They should still be proud to sell the bike even at a lower price.
BMW sell their bikes with 50k on as 'just run in'
If Triumph want to take them on they have got to change their perception.
It was not entirely the low price offered to me it was also his reluctance to consider selling mine, thats why they have lost my custom. It is pretty obvious that they do not expect their bikes to do anything more than weekend miles.
By the way, my local Bmw dealer offered me £4450 over Triumph's £3800. If only I wanted a BMW...

Offline itchyfeet

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 08:36:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by mjab [+]
Well done for riding your bike how it should be, my 2015 has 32000 on it now and I average around 8k per year.
The problem is there are far too many weekend warriors out there who ride their bikes to the nearest meeting place or café and park and pose all day with it then if a cloud comes over run for home.
Ask your dealer what average annual mileage for a bike is and you'll be shocked. Last time I was told it was around 2000 miles. I'll be doing more than that next week.
in 2015 I was offered £7500 on a 2 year old explorer with 11,000 miles and afer another dealer got involved got £1000 more then in 2017 I was offered only £6500 for my 2015 with 10500 on it. Still got it, with nitron shock and suspension sorted and the dealer knows he's lost a new bike buyer.

Thanks and totally agree.
I will also being keeping mine, nothing wrong with it and a totally awesome bike. I just found my dealers lack of pride in their own product a bit baffling, still, moving on.......

Did you just buy the Nitron shock and fit it yourself or did you have it set up for you? How much of an improvement was it?  :455:

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2019, 09:10:02 AM »
A lot of dealers, especially ones subjected to a manufacturer’s corporate image, want to be seen as “premium outlets”. So they only want “premium” used bikes = low mileage, less than a couple of years old and preferably the make they are franchised to sell.

Dealers have to have a profit margin on used bikes. They also have to consider the viability of offering a guarantee on second hand bikes. If it’s not one they have sold & serviced themselves they can be reluctant to do that unless there is a cast-iron service history and/or some of the manufacturers own warranty still valid.

My nearest BMW dealer won’t have any other make in the showroom. If they take another make in part exchange they sell it on in a closed/trade-only auction straight away so it never sullies their BMW corporate image.

My Triumph dealer is not so pedantic about other makes as long as they are nearly new or low mileage. They are part of a group with franchises for most other makes at different locations around the country = they can send trade-ins to a more appropriate branch if they don’t want them themselves. They also have a non-franchise branch which sells off all the less desirable older higher mileage bikes for the whole group, sold with only the barest of guarantee.

My own personal policy if a dealer’s valuation is too low is to sell privately. I have successfully used Ebay classified ads with the option to “make an offer”. I set the asking price at what I would ideally like but set a hidden automatic “offer accepted” price at the dealer’s valuation. Every time I have sold at above the dealers estimate and used the cash instead of trading-in against my new bike.

Recently I was shopping around for a new bike. The Triumph dealer told me exactly what the book value of my Street Triple was and I used that info at the KTM dealers to get an acceptable trade-in price against my new bike. OK, I might have got a bit more selling privately but it saved a lot of hassle and time. Both of us were happy. I got my bike, the dealer sold me my bike……and they’ve already sold my ST at a reasonable profit.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 09:12:33 AM by Will Morgan »

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2019, 04:22:28 PM »
A lot of good replies and food for thought. i only went to my dealer for a fork rebuild and it was his suggestion to value my bike against the rather large 3-4 year old stock he had so i guess the pcp reply on here is accurate.
Surely, this is self-explanatory.

The TEX/T12 will always be a boutique market relative to the BMW GS. BMW celebrated shipping their 500,000th GS back in 2013. In 2017 BMW sold over 50,000 GS's. In the same year, Triumph sold 63,404 bikes in total -- that includes every model that they make, of which the T12 is a fraction. You may not like the numbers, but they are what the are.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2019, 04:27:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Surely, this is self-explanatory.

The TEX/T12 will always be a boutique market relative to the BMW GS. BMW celebrated shipping their 500,000th GS back in 2013. In 2017 BMW sold over 50,000 GS's. In the same year, Triumph sold 63,404 bikes in total -- that includes every model that they make, of which the T12 is a fraction. You may not like the numbers, but they are what the are.

:460:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Bruce Wayne

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Winterswijk
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2019, 04:56:28 PM »
Thats why the Tex/tiger is Unique in its kind. This year in Slovenia, during my motorcycle holliday, I counted a minimum of 20 GS per day and only a handfull Triumphs in 2 weeks. The fact that those are the Numbers Made me decide to buy the tiger1200. Not a “13 in a dozen” bike but one with specific caracter and appearance.

Recent Topics