Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger trade in values  (Read 1126 times)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Tiger trade in values
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2019, 07:00:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne [+]
Thats why the Tex/tiger is Unique in its kind. This year in Slovenia, during my motorcycle holliday, I counted a minimum of 20 GS per day and only a handfull Triumphs in 2 weeks. The fact that those are the Numbers Made me decide to buy the tiger1200. Not a “13 in a dozen” bike but one with specific caracter and appearance.
Same here. But knowing that the resale value would be lower, I  made a 10-year commitment to the bike when I bought it. And I found one that was heavily discounted, to begin with. And 5 years on, I don't regret my decision.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2019, 09:49:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by itchyfeet [+]

Did you just buy the Nitron shock and fit it yourself or did you have it set up for you? How much of an improvement was it?  :455:
Ordered it through and had it fitted by Darren at MCT in Stowmarket who also sorted the front as well

He came highly recommended on here, just put MCT in the search and see how many posts there are about him.

As for how much of an improvement, I'd say, having tried both the gen 2 and gen 3 since having it done, a properly set up manual system designed for your weight totally outclasses the expensive electronic active suspension, and costs about 10 grand less than the new bike will cost you
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2019, 04:18:01 AM »
I have a different take on this.
Some dealerships play the game of “your bike isn’t worth anything to me” just to start low in negotiations.
It’s just business, not necessarily dogging their own product.
A buddy of mine bought a ‘15 TEx with 40,000 miles on it from our local dealership. He just happened to be there when it was traded in....he loves it as it probably has 50,000 on it now a year later.

Offline chris1982

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2019, 07:42:43 PM »
I think it has always been this way with part ex values, as soon as the bike has over 20k miles on the clock the value drops off like a stone. While the bikes are good for a lot more miles, they are more likely to be bought as commuters so the buyer is not going to pay a premium, I considered the getting a Sprint 955 myself once just for work to keep the mileage down on a Guzzi I had but I got a C90 instead!

The reason I got my Tiger 1200 6 weeks ago was that I walked into a dealer who happened to have one on discount and the sales guy gave me £5700 for a '16 Tiger Sport with 19k on the clock which I thought was extremely fair. I knew that if I kept it for another year, then I'd have to pay for an extortionate 24k service and the part ex would probably be closer to £4000, so it was the right time to do a deal before the value dropped off.

I don't regret making the change at all, the 1200 is an awesome bike, on a different level to the Sport. I will enjoy it for the next 3-4 years, taking it across Europe a few times but I'll probably have to choose to keep it or get a new bike then but I'll worry about that when the time comes.

Recent Topics