Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Orders - Mk3 Homemade Sat Nav Mount  (Read 3880 times)

Offline Xtof

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer Xrt '19
  • City / Town: Antwerpen
Re: Orders - Mk3 Homemade Sat Nav Mount
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2019, 09:39:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by guiri [+]
Xtof, did you use a conical spring washer? See the second photo in this post. In the end I thought this was going to be much more secure and I've not had any issues.

For Simmo with the countersunk hole, I made the suggestion here that this would need to be blanked off with a penny washer, in order to use the conical spring washer.

Cheers
guiri

Hey Guiri,

No I didn't, since the hole isn't countersunk. Nor sure if that would make a difference though.
All in all, since tightening a bit more, no more issues so far, so might also just have been that  :084:

cheers! Xtof

Offline Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2019, 11:30:14 AM »
Hi Xtof

Had to wait for the right fixings to arrive but we are there now. The worst part for me (because I'm a bit of a clutz) was drilling the 2 new holes in the aluminium bar but I just took it slow!

I was also thinking of filing the edges of the diamond base that overhang the bar but it's so little that it's barely noticeable.

Here are some pics:
2019 Tiger 1200 XRT in White fitted with Puig Touring Screen, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, Givi Trekker Outback 58L Box and Corben Heated Seat.

Offline guiri

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2019, 12:03:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Simmo [+]
I was also thinking of filing the edges of the diamond base that overhang the bar but it's so little that it's barely noticeable.

Looks good Simmo, that will definitely avoid any rotation problems!

Offline Xtof

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer Xrt '19
  • City / Town: Antwerpen
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2019, 12:58:27 PM »
Looks good Simmo!
And indeed, the diamond base is behind the GPS, so it doesn't really need to be filed off probably.

I also decided to try something else, but haven't received the pieces yet.
I am still looking for ways to further reduce vibration. I already installed rather soft rubber grommets between the mounting of the screen, so buffeting and wind that hits the screen, theoretically doesn't affect the mounting points that much. I haven't shared with you guys, because the impact is negligeable, so not really a success.

The next tryout will be changing the base as well. Much of the vibration is enlarged by the downforce due to the weight of the GPS, that "hangs' on the double sided arm.
I've gone looking on the RAM mount website to see if they have a different solution to fix the gps closer to the center of the Sat Nav bracket (closer to the screen).
And I found something that might work. just not sure if it will not be too close to the screen.

the idea is:
Mount https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-272U directly on top of the Sat nav bracket.
Then attach  https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-200-1U this part on top, which is shorter and stands straight up. So the weight of the GPS should even have less effect on vibrations.

I will update when I received the parts and have tried installing / measured if it's possible.

Cheers all!
Xtof

Offline Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2019, 03:42:21 PM »
Hi Xtof

I'm sort of surprised that you are experiencing vibrations! Compared to the Evotech device the new arrangement is absolutely rock steady - I did 2500 miles around the Picos and Portugal to test it out.

From my very limited knowledge and understanding of these things the screen is mounted to the same fixed fixed points as the SatNav bar and being fixed there shouldnt be any vibration coming through. Be interesting to hear the outcome of your experiments though.

Of course having changed from the single hole to the double hole RAM mount it might unsettle everything but the bike is in hibernation now so we probably wont find out until next year.

Regards
Simmo
2019 Tiger 1200 XRT in White fitted with Puig Touring Screen, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, Givi Trekker Outback 58L Box and Corben Heated Seat.

Recent Topics