Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Regular or Premium Petroleum?  (Read 725 times)

Offline 13volunteer

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer XC
Regular or Premium Petroleum?
« on: September 05, 2019, 01:15:52 PM »
I'm sure this has been discussed ad infinitum but I couldn't find it via "search."

I use only pure gas in my vehicles.  No ethanol.  My bike is a 2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC and the shop from which I bought it (now bankrupt and closed down, BTW) strongly recommended I use only 91 octane fuel.  That's the highest octane fuel available in my 'burg. 

Regular is 87 octane.  Mid is 89 octane. 

Sometimes if I'm out and about (day trips only, for me), to stay with ethanol free fuel, the alternative is limited to 87 octane pure gas. 

I occasionally get the bike up in speed.  One road I travel (to my gun club) is 75 mph speed limit.  The flow of traffic is ~85 mph.  If I'm moving to get around the herd of soccer moms (traveling in their convoy of SUVs, while they're sipping their lattes, texting on their cell phones, and screaming at the kids) I might get up to nearly 100.  Rarely more. 

That said, would I notice the difference between regular and premium, normally? 

The only mod I made to my bike is an Arrow pipe.   

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
Re: Regular or Premium Petroleum?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 03:58:46 PM »
The bike is designed to run on 87. The only harm you'll do by running higher octane is to your wallet. Performance wise you'd notice no difference.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 04:10:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by 13volunteer [+]
I'm sure this has been discussed ad infinitum but I couldn't find it via "search."
Yes it has. Scroll down the page a bit and you will see one:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,18693.0.html
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 11:30:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by ijinak [+]
The bike is designed to run on 87. The only harm you'll do by running higher octane is to your wallet.

This is of course the correct answer...

Performance wise you'd notice no difference.
you may in fact get less performance from a higher octane...

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 01:30:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
This is of course the correct answer...
 you may in fact get less performance from a higher octane...

☝️👍
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 10:03:41 AM »
The bike is designed to run on 87. The only harm you'll do by running higher octane is to your wallet. Performance wise you'd notice no difference.

Maybe I’m lucky but there are some local supermarkets that sell premium fuel cheaper than standard fuel at nearby independent places! So sometimes I do use it even tho’ the “benefits” are debatable = It might be better & if it’s not costing me extra I don’t mind......and although modern engines & ECUs are set up to run on a minimum octane fuel I very much doubt higher octane does any harm (& it may make the engine run cooler). I know from experience with older carb bike higher octane premium fuel knocks/pinks/pings less and there’s also its advantage of lower % ethanol......but please let’s not get into a debate over the corrosive effects (or not) of ethanol!

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 02:20:18 PM »
87 is fine and ethanol is fine.   That is what I run in mine and I figure I have over 400 gallons through my gen 3 and I figure over 1000 through my gen 1.  No issues at all.

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 04:08:16 PM »
No debates necessary, just read your manual.
If you can get premium at some places cheaper than regular at others, I’m certain there regular is cheaper still. Why wouldn’t you save a little cheddar?
I’ve known some pretty rich folk in my days, none of which through money away.

Offline 13volunteer

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer XC
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 11:54:00 PM »
OP here.  I filled up today and eschewed the 91 for 89.  I'll do that a couple of tanks.  If I don't notice any difference I'll go with 87.  Any chance the dealer (he's the one who recommended premium in the first place) mapped the bike for 91?   

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 12:50:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by 13volunteer [+]
OP here.  I filled up today and eschewed the 91 for 89.  I'll do that a couple of tanks.  If I don't notice any difference I'll go with 87.  Any chance the dealer (he's the one who recommended premium in the first place) mapped the bike for 91?
The TEX is self-adjusting. If you want to accelerate the calibration process, use the 12-minute tune-up. The procedure: from engine cold, start the engine but do not touch the throttle. Let the engine idle until the cooling fan comes on (do not touch the throttle). Start timing for 12 minutes. After 12 minutes have elapsed, key-off without touching the throttle. And you are done.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics