Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Regular or Premium Petroleum?  (Read 726 times)

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
Re: Regular or Premium Petroleum?
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 05:55:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by 13volunteer [+]
OP here.  I filled up today and eschewed the 91 for 89.  I'll do that a couple of tanks.  If I don't notice any difference I'll go with 87.  Any chance the dealer (he's the one who recommended premium in the first place) mapped the bike for 91?
No he didn't.  It will run just fine on 87.

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 12:01:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
The TEX is self-adjusting. If you want to accelerate the calibration process, use the 12-minute tune-up. The procedure: from engine cold, start the engine but do not touch the throttle. Let the engine idle until the cooling fan comes on (do not touch the throttle). Start timing for 12 minutes. After 12 minutes have elapsed, key-off without touching the throttle. And you are done.

I see this posted here all the time like its some miracle and its just not.... every single modern fuel injected vehicle with an 02 sensor is "self adjusting" .

all this "12-minute tune-up" does is reset the adaptive fuel parameters back to base numbers..the very second you ride the bike those numbers start changing again to what the current conditions want.

adaptive fuel correction is not designed to adjust too far either way, if you have modified your bike then you need to get it tuned but for the purpose of this thread, if your simply running a higher than recommended octane , then you dont need to so anything..not even the "12 minute tune" 

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 05:43:31 PM »
At the cost of 12 minutes out of your life, the question should be, "what do I have to lose by trying it?" Lots of people here have been happy with the results.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline pmckinnon

• Explorer Master
  • High Country ride
  • Bike: EXP 2012 Blue
  • City / Town: Sunbury
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 10:34:00 AM »
Keep away from Ethanol its crap and will eventually gunge up you fuel system
Sugar cane is great for Rum not for Tex.

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 12:46:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by pmckinnon [+]

There has been nothing but ethanol fuel for sale in my state for about 15 years now...and I cant ever remember having any trouble with it...
if you store a vehicle with fuel in it, store if properly and you will be fine.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2019, 05:04:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by pmckinnon [+]
As mentioned in the other recent fuel-grade thread on this topic, I regularly run Chevron 94 that has no ethanol in it. When outside of my normal riding area, I use 91 with ethanol. I can definitely tell the difference, especially two-up when overtaking etc.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline isb

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Hell
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2019, 03:50:45 AM »
All modern vehicles (last few decades) are designed to be fine with 10% ethanol as far as valve seat wear, seal degradation etc. Storage over extended time periods is a different matter. Fuel stabilizer is all that’s needed for over the winter.
Cheers, Ian

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who think there are two kinds of people, and those that don't.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2019, 05:55:30 AM »
We had ethanol for sale since the 80s.  Not an issue.  Even in the old 77 Oliver tractor,  Model 82 Massey Harris combine, and the Owatonna model 80 mower.  (all of those were built in the 50s and drank 1000s of gallons of the stuff)  I won't even get into the vehicles built in the 60s that ran it we have that never caused a problem.

Just run 87 either with or without ethanol, which ever you can find cheaper, and you will be fine.

Recent Topics

nonskid