Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bright headlight  (Read 321 times)

Offline traw63

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 xrx low
  • City / Town: York
Bright headlight
« on: September 08, 2019, 05:20:59 AM »
Hello. First post from me.
I constantly get flashed by other motorists thinking I have my main beam on.....abroad recently they were quite agitated over it.
Back here I'm still getting flashed.
I've adjusted the headlight in both positions.....any ideas ? :440:
Thanks

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
Re: Bright headlight
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 07:32:51 AM »
Do you have the OEM spot/fog lights fitted and on at the same time? On mine I found the adjustment on those were way out and causing the issue.

Since adjusting them, I’ve had no further flashing.

If you don’t have the fog/spots and given you have adjusted the lights, I can only think of the following:
- bulbs not seated properly in the headlamp (or one of them at least - I found one of mine not seated in the socket properly)
- headlamp itself not fitted correctly
- Headlamp unit faulty (dealer would need to check)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 05:00:20 PM »
I get flashed frequently for my fork mounted spotlights, even though they are aimed well down at the road. I have to turn them off a night.

Increasing the preload on your rear suspension will also lower the headlight beam. Is your suspension set up correctly?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 05:00:13 PM »
OK guys, here I go again.
Most simple LED projectors do scatter huge amounts of light upward.
That's why I bought those Chinese crap:
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32782361402.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.92016c37V74OYS

The adjustable "visor" on top of them makes them useable in any situation, without getting flashed.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 05:48:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
The adjustable "visor" on top of them makes them useable in any situation, without getting flashed.
Looks like the visor is also handy for biting a chuck out of large animals that get to close.  :038:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 06:11:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by traw63 [+]
Hello. First post from me.
I constantly get flashed by other motorists thinking I have my main beam on.....abroad recently they were quite agitated over it.
Back here I'm still getting flashed.
I've adjusted the headlight in both positions.....any ideas ? :440:
Thanks
First off the manual (the one I have anyway) has the incorrect positions for the "Headlight adjuster lever for loaded conditions". I am talking about Gen 3 here. Point your bike at a wall and find out the normal unloaded position is for you by flipping the lever either way and seeing which way the beam changes. This is not the regular headlamp adjustment, just an binary choice lever for loaded and unloaded conditions. Once you have that done you can concentrate on the normal headlamp adjustment procedure.

Check out your user manual for the location of the standard headlight adjuster. Ideally this should of been set at the factory but if not you can adjust them yourself. Google motorcycle headlamp adjustment and you will come up with a plethora of advice, mostly the same. I arbitrarily chose this one in a BMW forum as it was the first with a really easy pic explaining what you should be aiming for. See pic on last post. https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/41333-headlight-adjustment-measurements/

There is no left/right adjustment on most modern motorcycles anymore so don't worry about that.

Recent Topics

nonskid