Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear brake pad wear  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Triple3

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200XR
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Rear brake pad wear
« on: September 09, 2019, 12:56:00 PM »
I have a 5 month old Tiger XR with 4100 miles on clock which I have had from new I have noticed the rear pads are more than half worn but the fronts are still like new. Does anyone know if the brake bias is adjustable at dealers. Had many bikes over last 30 years and never had rear pads wear this fast.

Offline peejay1977

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Warrington
Re: Rear brake pad wear
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 12:59:46 PM »
As far as I know they are not able to be dialled in. It's because of the linked brakes. In 15 years I've never had to replace pads on the rear of any bike that I've owned, on my current Explorer I had to replace them at 10,000 as they were dangerously worn low.

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 01:02:23 PM »
Known phenomenon on all new Explorers, I check mine regularly and have them replaced with OEM parts when necessary  :002:
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline Triple3

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 01:12:04 PM »
It would seem they are only going to last 8000 miles. I would have thought brake bias should be 80/20 front/rear. The front pads are hardly worn may have a word with dealer to see what determines bias.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 03:05:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Triple3 [+]
It would seem they are only going to last 8000 miles. I would have thought brake bias should be 80/20 front/rear. The front pads are hardly worn may have a word with dealer to see what determines bias.

Mine only lasted just under 7k miles before the "slots" on the pads had disappeared. Keeping a keen eye on the OEM replacements as fully expecting it to happen again.

Guy who services my Tex says that fronts should last about 18k on average.

I'm hoping the (new) rears will last a bit better, but have just purchased a spare OEM set to fit in case I'm ever caught out and urgently need to fit a set.

Makes the 10k service intervals a bit of a joke if the rear pads don't last that long and Triumph give no warning that the rears will wear early. But unaware of any options for adjusting bias, the only thing you can do is use both brakes, as if you touch the rear after the front, then the link is "broken" for that braking session.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 04:56:43 PM »
Since I got my current Mk3, I progressively turned from "obsessive rear brake practitioner" to "never touch it, but in very slow manoeuvres and emergency braking situations".
Still, I had my rear pads replaced at the 16,000 km service. And this was the first time I had to in 3 Tiger 1200.
Like you all, I can only hypothesize that its due to linked brake.

Offline Triple3

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 05:16:52 PM »
I agree its a joke having a 10k service interval if you had to change a set of pads at 7k. My ST had 31k on it and rear pads were still not down to near marker. I think the MK3 is the only Tiger with linked brakes.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 05:36:27 PM »
I agree its a joke having a 10k service interval if you had to change a set of pads at 7k. My ST had 31k on it and rear pads were still not down to near marker. I think the MK3 is the only Tiger with linked brakes.

No, they are linked on the Gen-2’s as well

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 05:51:25 PM »
I have a 5 month old Tiger XR with 4100 miles on clock which I have had from new I have noticed the rear pads are more than half worn but the fronts are still like new. Does anyone know if the brake bias is adjustable at dealers. Had many bikes over last 30 years and never had rear pads wear this fast.
Normal and well known on this bike, it's down to the linked brakes and weight I reckon, pretty sure their is no bias adjustment. Replacement pads are not expensive and easy to get at if you want to do it yourself.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 05:53:06 PM »
Use your brakes less. I use the engine braking 90% of the time and just use the brakes for final stopping or slow maneuvering. And to light up the brake light if someone is following me.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics