Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear brake pad wear  (Read 1280 times)

Offline rivets

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: West Country
Re: Rear brake pad wear
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2019, 09:58:32 AM »
Bottom line is, when you hit the brakes you want to stop - right?
It might just be that the designers have decided on a caliper / pad size combination to ensure your braking experience is good, i.e. not so ineffective that nothing happens (we've all had that bike), not over effective to cause ABS to kick in all the time.
A consequence of this, combined with the linked system, means that you may have to change the pads more often than you're used to on your old "sports bike" where we all know the back brake is nothing but an ornament.
What would you rather do, put long life pads made of unobtanium in to make sure they reach the 10k service but are completely ineffective when the idiot pulls out on you?

In my opinion I think its just a function of the size of the bike, the weight distribution (unlikely to be doing stoppies!) and the most effective way to make you stop quickly, its not as though you need to sell a kidney to buy the pads so not worth fretting about.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2019, 10:23:35 AM »
Sound points, but as previously stated here: my two previous Mk2s had good rear brakes that I used all the time and the pads were to be replaced every 2 services.
So the T12 is a setback in this regard.

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2019, 10:24:32 AM »
Used to love the linked braking on my Blackbird - was great two up - i wear the rear pad quick on the Tex as a lot of two up stuff to stop the pitch and slow speed control - no linky on the 2012 - have moved back to normal EBC pads - had a sintered set that were a bastard to fit 
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline Triple3

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200XR
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2019, 11:28:47 AM »
Pulled the front pads and they look brand new apart from they look glazed which suggests they are hardly doing any work (probably my riding style). I wonder if Triumph has set up the system for maybe the first 5 - 10% of braking from front brake lever going to rear so a lot (in my case) of just feathering off speed is done by the small rear brake. In a normal system brake bias is mostly always bias to the front unless a load proportioning valve is fitted.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2019, 02:57:13 PM »
I will have to check mine.  Both my Speed Triple and my GEN 1 Tiger needed the brakes replaced around the 30K miles mark.  I will have to see how they last.  I have around 18K miles on my bike now and when I replaced the tires at 17.5K they were still doing good when I checked. 

Offline TRITIGEX

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: DH
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2019, 07:09:29 PM »
FWIW the rear pads on my 2018 XRx were  gone at 14500km/9000miles

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2019, 11:31:52 PM »
My T1200 is on 27 kkm.  Not down to the metal yet on the rear.
Guess it all comes down to the type of riding, how much corner braking you do, and whether you use the rear brake on its own (I do).

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2019, 09:00:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by KenW [+]
Guess it all comes down to the type of riding, how much corner braking you do, and whether you use the rear brake on its own (I do).
I think you are right. Here in Ireland I try and avoid the main roads unless I need to make fast progress so consequently lots of braking/acceleration on the regional roads. It eats the rear brake pads as I almost exclusively use the linked brakes, on my third set (just) at 18k Km. In old imperial that's 5,600 miles per set. And I'm not changing them early.

Online anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2019, 06:38:17 AM »
I replaced my rears around 29000 miles and they were almost down to metal(dumb me). I really don’t know if they were ever replaced prior. I sure don’t remember replacing them.  As far as whether the rear brakes are good enough, turn off abs and hit the brake. If it locks up the tire it’s good enough.
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2019, 06:24:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by KenW [+]
Minimum brake pad thickness is 1.5mm according to the OEM service manual. The EBC brake pads that I am using don't have wear grooves in them like the OEM pads did.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics