Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel range  (Read 553 times)

Offline AllanV

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph tiger xca
  • City / Town: Boksburg
Fuel range
« on: September 11, 2019, 03:22:49 PM »
Hi is there any reason why I don't get the correct range when I reset my fuel range?

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Fuel range
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 03:27:38 PM »
Fuel range is based on historical riding. So if you were driving like a madman before fueling up the range can be showing as much lower on your full tank. If you were driving sedately before fuelling up the opposite is true. You can actually find your range increasing after a fill up as you go along in the first scenario. How long that historical measurement period is over I don't know though.

Offline AllanV

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph tiger xca
  • City / Town: Boksburg
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 03:39:42 PM »
Yes I've seen that it's just like when I have a full tank I ride on the freeway. Set my cruise control on and Ride at a constant speed with low fuel consumption, I reset with the joystick but still only show max range 280km

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 03:53:53 PM »
I’ve seen my Gen1’s range increase as I go from wild to mild. I think the calculations are based on “current” riding behavior. Current meaning the past few seconds.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 05:09:42 PM »
Confirmed (I play a lot with fuel figures ;-).

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 09:08:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by AllanV [+]
Yes I've seen that it's just like when I have a full tank I ride on the freeway. Set my cruise control on and Ride at a constant speed with low fuel consumption, I reset with the joystick but still only show max range 280km
Then after a rest it must default to a particular programmed value, relative to the float sender, to be updated as you ride.

Offline Xtof

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer Xrt '19
  • City / Town: Antwerpen
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 12:22:35 PM »
Seems to be working pretty fine on a gen3 here.
Recalculates rather correctly after fuelling up, and driving for maybe 100 - 200 m.
Calculation seems to be based on recent driving, as it increases or decreases with my heartbeat and riding style :D

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 08:51:44 PM »
Drove up the Col Du Tourmalet in May this year - nearly ran out of fuel on the way up - so much so that I switched engine off and coasted for around  8 miles at speeds up to 60mph on the way down the other side. When I refuelled it estimated a range of 515miles !!  :001: :001:

Dropped lie a stone of course when I pushed on a bit but never saw that sort of figure before !!

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 06:03:59 PM »
I find that the fuel range tends to be realistic after refueling, then it gets optimistic in mid-range, then pessimistic when the low fuel light comes on.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics