Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hello from the Falklands  (Read 450 times)

Online JohnCFI

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Desire the Right... to ride
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCx
  • City / Town: Stanley
Hello from the Falklands
« on: September 12, 2019, 03:22:37 PM »
I guess its time to say hello, I have been lurking for a couple of weeks, learning as much as I can (thank you all), I am now in the final stages of buying a Tiger from another member of this forum, so its safe (I think) to make my first post.  Mine wont be the first Tiger in the Falklands, there is an 800 I know about, there is also a few other Triumphs too.  Mine will be my daily commute (as long as the weather is not too bad). Commute for me is a 70 mile round trip, about 50/50 tarmac and gravel road.  Lots of research (read Lurking) has convinced me the Tiger 1200 is perfect for the job.  I will be doing all my own maintenance and servicing as there is no dealer..... closest accessible one is in the UK its only 8000 miles away....  no doubt I will be seeking advice from fellow owners.  Not my first Triumph, had an original Daytona, many many moons ago, and a few other makes since.  If any of you are passing by, do say Hello, always good for a beer (except when riding/driving) of course.

John Clifford
Stanley
Falkland Islands

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Hello from the Falklands
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 03:34:08 PM »
Welcome JohnCFI - lovely part of the world you live in. I was there during the little "spat" on a Merchant ship, £6 a day war bonus I got! I reckon the Tiger will do you well and in comfort and shrug off the harsh winds when encountered. enjoy.

Offline pug27

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer
  • City / Town: Thirsk
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 03:45:57 PM »
 :400: Lovely place. Ive had a pint or two in the Globe back in the day.

Offline Xtof

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer Xrt '19
  • City / Town: Antwerpen
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 04:31:38 PM »
Welcome!
I'm jealous of your 50/50 commute... mine's all tarmac and not as fun.

But enjoy the forum and good luck on the new bike ;)

Offline Bruce Wayne

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Winterswijk
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 04:42:25 PM »
 :400: from the Netherlands and have funn with the tiger.

Offline Tiger Lad

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Exp 1200 xrt
  • City / Town: Chippenham
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 10:10:31 AM »
 :400: to the forum, lots of friendly advice here on this site.  :031:

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 06:11:01 PM »
Rode some trials bikes there in 82/83 and got wind burn on the back of my hands when it went from quite pleasant to bloody cold and foggy.

Had a bugger of a job getting back to the ship and then climbing the ladder up the outside  :188:

Quite the place!

Good luck and welcome  :821:
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Online JohnCFI

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 01:35:21 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, I see I am in honoured company here.  Double beers for you all if your ever back here.  Moggi, bet your glad of heated grips on the tiger nowadays 😜😂.  Best wishes all..
John Clifford
Stanley
Falkland Islands

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 10:32:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by JohnCFI [+]
Thanks for the welcome, I see I am in honoured company here.  Double beers for you all if your ever back here.  Moggi, bet your glad of heated grips on the tiger nowadays 😜😂.  Best wishes all..

Even having gloves would have made a difference  :034:

It's nice not to be told at the start of every ride " Don't go off track as we still have cleared most of the island for mines yet"  :033:

I'm afraid I didn't get any pictures of the bikes. I left my camera on ship as I didn't want to risk it when I rode. Couple of pictures I had previously scanned below.

My Brother was 37 Engineer.

Here's the Sir Tristram tied up outside Stanley. She got hit badly in Bluff Cove where the Sir Galahad took an even worse pounding.

Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Online JohnCFI

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 02:02:33 AM »
You will be pleased to hear that the mine clearance is close to completion.  Jus a few stragglers to find, mostly in the York Bay area.  Off roading is pretty safe nowadays.  That track from Stanley to Mount Pleasant is almost 50% tarmac too.  And as ever it is a true pleasure to live in this wonderful unspoilt place.  Thank you for your service..
John Clifford
Stanley
Falkland Islands

Recent Topics