Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Eliminate Master Ignition Switch  (Read 252 times)

Offline Mtlben

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Gen3 XRT
  • City / Town: Montreal area
Eliminate Master Ignition Switch
« on: September 12, 2019, 05:28:26 PM »
I have a North American version of the 2019 1200 XRT, which has the Master Ignition Switch fitted besides the TFT panel.

From what I could find, this is a useless switch installed to please some North American regulation, and it is not installed anywhere else on the planet. It actually seems to be replaced everywhere else by a jumper that makes the ECU think the switch is always on.

Since this switch is kind of a useless eyesore, I would like to get rid of it.

That jumper is called a "Master Ignition Link Connector" in the service manual. The North American switch is item 8 in the diagram and the World "Link" is item 7. I know I could probably make one, but I would'nt mind getting the OEM part. I tried to search for it in online OEM parts catalog but could not find it.

Could anyone more familiar with searching Triumph parts help me find it ?

...Ben...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 05:30:37 PM by Mtlben »
...Ben...

Online jannerman

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Plymouth
Re: Eliminate Master Ignition Switch
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 10:17:40 PM »
Take a look at the parts list here.

I think you want item 65 (Pn. T2505825 : Link, Rotational Switch) in the list, although I can't for the life of me see it in the diagram.

I bet it's only some standard 2 pin waterproof connector (Amp or Sumitomo type) with the pins linked by a bit of wire. Unfortunately, I can't identify it from the diagram in your post, nor see the equivalent on my bike. If you fancy pulling the connector on your bike and posting a photograph of it I may be able to track it down for you.

Offline Mtlben

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Gen3 XRT
  • City / Town: Montreal area
Re: Eliminate Master Ignition Switch
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 09:50:26 PM »
Unfortunately, I loose sight of the wire as it disappears behind the TFT, inside that square channel that links the front cockpit to the main frame.

I would need to do some major dismantling to find out. I'd rather wait until the end of our riding season before digging in.

The service manual does not give any harness names where to look either.

The switch itself looks like a last minute afterthought: Cheap bracket and an on-off ignition functionality, yet they installed a 3 position rotary switch !
...Ben...

Recent Topics