Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Park-n-Move dolly and Tex  (Read 725 times)

Offline Tex Marin

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bay Area
Park-n-Move dolly and Tex
« on: September 12, 2019, 10:20:12 PM »
Is anyone using a Park N Move with their Tex? I have a 2013 and it's always been a bit of a strain to get the bike onto the center stand for me. I'm wondering if it's any more difficult to do with the dolly, and if so, how much. Thanks.

Offline andrewr138

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2015 TEx XC
  • City / Town: Denver
Re: Park-n-Move dolly and Tex
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 02:29:48 AM »
I have one. It's a tad bit more challenging, but definitely doable. It takes some practice getting it into the proper position, but makes the bike easy to move around. Just make sure it's flat/smooth concrete. Moving it in a storage unit, I hit a divet, and the bike went over.

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 08:31:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by andrewr138 [+]
Just make sure it's flat/smooth concrete. Moving it in a storage unit, I hit a divet, and the bike went over.

:0461: Even a slightly rough surface can make the dolly very difficult to move = the small wheels get easily stuck in a rut. A good shove to get it moving again could easily topple the bike over. I've never had a calamity but I'm extremely cautious with any such device on wheels.

If you just want to make it easier to use the centre stand (& you aren't worried about moving the bike about afterwards) put plywood under the back wheel. Raising it just 1/2" or 3/4" should make it easier to lift the bike on to the stand.

Offline Tex Marin

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 10:08:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'm moving and the new garage floor is smooth and level so that shouldn't be an issue. However the new garage is much smaller and I'll need to tuck the bike into a corner which is difficult without a dolly. It doesn't sound like pulling the bike onto the Park N Move is any more difficult than pulling it onto the center stand, so this dolly sounds like a good option.  :152:

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 03:32:11 PM »
Just curious.
Have you much experience putting a bike on the center stand?
I’m around 6’4” 230lbs and don’t have a problem. When I first acquired a bike
with a center stand it was a real struggle until someone showed me the proper method. That was 20 years ago.

Offline salisburytiger

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200XRt
  • City / Town: Salisbury
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 03:35:37 PM »
I've got a dolly with a side plate/arm to take the side stand.
I find this to be stable to move around even on my uneven concrete garage floor.
Having the bike on it's side stand certainly helps but I usually push and pull the dolly at floor level ie I don't touch the bike I pull push the dolly.
Never felt the bike might fall over

Offline Tex Marin

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 09:03:44 PM »
FredJ9, thanks for the question. I'm aware of the proper center stand technique and do use it with the Tex. I'm 5'9" and the leverage point on the Tex is higher than other bikes I've had, and it's the heaviest bike I've owned.  These factors make lifting the bike onto the center stand a bit more of a struggle but it's certainly manageable. Some dollies have higher center plate clearances than others, and my question for the group was whether the Park N Move was low enough to not significantly change the center of gravity of the lift.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 09:10:39 PM by Tex Marin »

Offline Tex Marin

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 09:10:04 PM »
Salisburytiger, I've seen dollies with side stand plates and the bike definitely looks more at rest and balanced on them when the bike's being moved. Unfortunately I need the bike to be upright to save space so this isn't an option for me. Thanks.

Online TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 08:09:48 AM »
I lowered my bike by 20mm and found that put it on the limit (for me) to get it into the centre stand. (I’m 12.5 stone)

So if you’re looking for a number, it might be 20mm.

I made a turntable from a “lazy Susan” that enables me to turn the bike in my small lockup garage.
--------
If not now, when?

Online TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 08:12:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
Just curious.
Have you much experience putting a bike on the center stand?
I’m around 6’4” 230lbs and don’t have a problem. When I first acquired a bike
with a center stand it was a real struggle until someone showed me the proper method. That was 20 years ago.

What is the proper method?
Maybe I’m struggling when I don’t need to?
--------
If not now, when?

Recent Topics

nonskid