Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cam chain rattle continuous  (Read 520 times)

CaptainTrips and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline davidz0241

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Bellingham
Cam chain rattle continuous
« on: September 14, 2019, 04:05:32 AM »
I'm going to tear my hair out. :157: I've just opened up the engine for the second time because I was getting some noise from the engine and I made sure all valves were in spec, and that the timing was correct, i also got a new chain tensioner and upon firing it up and letting it run a while this is what I'm greeted with. Is it time to get a new cam chain as well and just slap it in there? Honestly, I'm at a loss at this point. I'm just about ready to get rid of the damn thing. For reference, I also have a video from last time that shows that the chain tensioner retracts itself on moving the crank, which I was TOLD was fairly typical. Honestly, it sounds worse with the new tensioner. The bike has 12k on the clocks. First video is current noise and is the most relevant, second is that previous video. Somebody please help me out....

Chain noise (im assuming...)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/k812WNxiBxhdqHeRA

moving the crank

I would have both on youtube but google wont let me download the video currently
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 04:09:18 AM by davidz0241 »

Online moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
Re: Cam chain rattle continuous
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 10:12:19 AM »
Sounds like my 2012 has sounded for the last 35000 miles (since new)  :027:

I figure if mine stops making that noise then I have an issue!

Personally, I would put the covers back on and ride it.
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Online pug27

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer
  • City / Town: Thirsk
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 10:38:47 AM »
Agree with Moggi. Mine has 38k sounds exactly the same. Can’t hear it with ear plugs in!

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 12:07:49 PM »
 :0461: What year is your bike? Apart from some early bikes which had a recall (*) for top-end upgrade/rebuild these engines are very tough and there shouldn't be any problems at only 12k miles.

Compared to other bikes they do make more cam chain noise, especially for the first few seconds after start up, so what are you comparing it to? I'm on my 2nd Explorer and both have been noisy but 100% reliable mechanically with no need for any more spanner work than checking the valve clearances as per recommended schedule.

(* If your worried Triumph can tell you if your bike was due the recall or if it has been done from your VIN. But it was only early bikes and they should all have been upgraded by now - unless yours was unsold stock sat in a warehouse for several years! )

Offline davidz0241

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 06:03:22 PM »
My comparison  is to before the bike was ever torn down. The bike was very quiet and sounded buttery smooth but at the time was slightly overdue for a valve adjustment. Every single one of the exhaust valves was tight. However, there was no cam chain noise noticable then, other than a loud initial chain grind sound when it had sat for more than a day or two which would go away almost immediately after start. It's a bit hard to hear in the video, however in person you can clearly hear the chain is loose and I'm afraid of it trying to jump a tooth. I wouldn't be concerned if the noise went away as expected, however even after running continously it is still noisy.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 06:53:32 PM by davidz0241 »

Offline davidz0241

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 06:25:41 PM »
For reference, it is a 2014 xc supposedly outside of the range of cylinder head issues. I made sure to buy outside of that range when looking to pick on up.

Offline Pomegranate

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Dorset
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 08:25:00 PM »
I am wondering if the camchain tensioner is working correctly. The spring and locking mechanism in it take up some of the play and then oil pressure takes up the rest of the play once running. I can remember having to reset the plunger when reinstalling but can’t remember if it is possible to misplace the parts leading to it not working correctly?

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 10:55:00 PM »
The video sounded normal to me. Mine is at 67k miles and I think has always sounded roughly like that.

*Originally Posted by Pomegranate [+]
I can remember having to reset the plunger when reinstalling but can’t remember if it is possible to misplace the parts leading to it not working correctly?

Not really. The spring clip remains attached to the piston, so you couldn't get that wrong without some ingenuity. The small gasket over the back end of the tensioner does not have the bolts 180 degrees from each other, so it will only fit one way round, ensuring the oil supply isn't blocked.

Offline davidz0241

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 03:18:04 AM »
Update: the bike is now purring. I decided to fire it up for another round before I did anything else, and figured id let it do the 15 minute reset thing. That flopped at first. Freaked me the heck out as the bike sounded crappier and crappier and eventually died. Upon firing it again it went and then idle dropped till it died again. I thought it was truly borked at that point, but then I thought that it was probably because of low fuel since I just put enough to get it going. Put some more fuel in, ran it AGAIN. Let it run for 25 minutes without touching it, stethascoping for any sort of noises. After about 30 minutes, it seems to have worked itself out. Odd. The first time I had the head open it was REALLLLLLY nasty for about 10 seconds and worked itself out pretty quickly. This time it didn't work itself out for the first run at all. Only after letting it idle for 30 did it actually get rid of the sound and sounded as it should. I'm beyond pleased to report that, I now have a purring explorer again. I surely took this opportunity to romp it around town for the first time in probably 4 months. It's acting how it did when I first got it. Still makes that metallic clanking noise on fire from the chain, but this I've come to see as rather normal.

As a note, for anyone attempting the valve adjustments, I found go - no-go gauges to be an incredibly better tool than singular gauges. There is no room for interpretation with these gauges. .279 - .330 is perfect. If it slides and stops, you are good. You'll be able to jam it, but that's fine. So long as it does actually slide, and stop using a gentle friction, you are good to go onto the next one. If it wants to continue with little force. Try again.  On every other bike I've done valves on, the standard tappet gauges have been alright. The triumph is tricky because of it's tight workspace and I was just never satisfied with the results of standard gauges here. Another note is, be prepared to order shims from triumph. Yes, it takes forever, but the tolerances are very small here and triumph is the only one who is carrying them in .025 increments. Nobody locally carries them either. So that's fun.

Of course, now I've found that both of my fork seals have failed since riding it today. I cant catch a break with this bike.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 03:49:00 AM by davidz0241 »

Offline davidz0241

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 11:04:53 PM »
UPDATE UPDATE. Okay so I 110% take it back. It's absolutely still doing it.
Here's a better video.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/e8UYYN3FMwi1cVNG8

I did put a new tensioner in. Maybe I pull it out and put the old one in and see if that helps. I should be able to do so without having to rip the entire bike down again.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:32:26 PM by davidz0241 »

Recent Topics