Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cam chain rattle continuous  (Read 877 times)

Offline goneinaflash

• Explorer Pro
Re: Cam chain rattle continuous
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 11:42:13 PM »
sounds completely normal to me...i own a 2013 1200 and its one of the most "mechanical sounding" motors i have ever owned but does not seem to harm its performance or reliability.   

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 12:06:54 AM »
One poster on this forum complained that the cam chain was too tight after he reinstalled the tensioner. That may have been the result of not using the proper procedure of compressing the plunger (held by the wire clip) installing the tensioner, and then backing the crankshaft a quarter turn and then turning it forward a quarter turn to release the tensioner.

Is the tensioner's plunger properly located in the middle of the tensioner blade?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 12:11:27 AM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline davidz0241

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Bellingham
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 01:57:11 AM »
I do believe so, however if it were not, how would one go about changing that? It's in a fixed position with the inserted dowel am i wrong? Also the tensioner was reset when inserted into the engine and the 1/4 turn followed.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 03:21:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by davidz0241 [+]
I do believe so, however if it were not, how would one go about changing that? It's in a fixed position with the inserted dowel am i wrong?
I was quoting from the OEM Service Manual, FWIW, on things to check. I've had the tensioner out and put it back successfully to do a major service with no issues, so I'm not not sure what else to suggest.

Also, mine is pretty noisy too, but I have not noticed it getting any worse after 55 k kms.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 03:23:21 AM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline davidz0241

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 06:39:46 AM »
So the lowdown is this. Unless the bike is run continuously for over 10 minutes there is a continuous clanking from the cam chain which is obviously causing excessive wear until finally I imagine would lead to skipping teeth. My guess is the only thing I could do is replace the chain and top pad, and possibly go as far as the guides too. I tried resetting the cam chain tensioner to no change. This is worsened by triumph being on backorder for just about every single OEM part they have making it nearly impossible to get replacement parts. I'm becoming ever more frustrated with triumph and questioning whether I'd buy another triumph bike. The problem with this is I'm not sure there's another bike that suits me like the tigers but if this doesn't end up fixing the issue, I will be dropping Triumph indefinitely... which is a stark change from before owning the new tiger and claiming I would only own triumphs for the street. I cant imagine how a cam chain setup could go bad in 12k miles but here we are.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 04:31:25 PM »
Well, if you have already replaced the chain tensioner, then it must be the lack of oil pressure that is causing the problem. What oil do you use? Does the problem occur when you park for 5 minutes after it is completely warmed up? Is there a chance that a gasket has been installed incorrectly that could block oil flow? Are there any low-pressure oil warnings in the ECU?

Offline davidz0241

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2019, 09:24:52 PM »
It seems to work fine when it has been thoroughly heated, and run for a significant amount of time. I'll use fine loosely, but if I didn't know better one probably wouldn't notice. The one time I had reported back as fine it seemed to fire back up with no issues after having run some errands and such. With that said, of course, if its allowed to cool the issue is ever present and doesn't go away for a long time. With oil pressure being suspect, where does one start? I have not seen any pressure lights light up on the dash, however, I have not checked for codes in Tiger Tool recently. I could go back and do this. The only thing that pops into my head is i had a screwdriver handle explode on me whilst i had the rh crankcase cover open the first time I went through the process in March. I did not see any signs of pieces getting into the engine, but there was definitely some anxiety at the time about that possibility. I did change the oil and filter after that conundrum just in case. I suppose if any pieces got sucked up, they could be obstructing a passage? It does feel a bit like reaching, since this was not an apparent issue after that, which i had driven about 1000 miles after, however, at this point I'm out of any better ideas. In that case, I suppose checking the oil pickup screens would be the first place to start? As for gasket obstruction, I couldn't imagine how one would be obstructing. The only gaskets would be the rings on the cam ladders, the head, and the side cover, all of which I was careful to make sure were in their proper places during reassembly. I'm not too familiar with how one would go about manually checking oil pressure on this bike, I could go get a gauge and all that, but I'd need some guidance. Is there a good diagram of the oil passages on this bike? Oh and to answer your question, I'm running the castrol power 1 10-40 which i do believe is the recommended oil for the bike.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 10:02:28 PM by davidz0241 »

Offline davidz0241

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2019, 10:07:04 PM »
I checked for codes on the bike, the only one stored on the bike was a P0460 Fuel Level sensor circuit malfunction. Nothing indicating the bike would be low on oil pressure from the sensor side of things.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2019, 11:51:40 PM »
Given all that, I wonder if the oil supply for the tensioner specifically is blocked. Perhaps see if you can use some compressed air to clear the oil passage. I can't recall what it looks like when the tensioner is removed, but there must be some passage that is accessible that supplies oil pressure to the plunger.

Recent Topics