Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oh No Insurance renewal time  (Read 955 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Simmo

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 331
  • Bike: 2019 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Oh No Insurance renewal time
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 09:40:37 AM »
Some companies will try and match/beat your best quote BUT only if you can produce written evidence of the quote. In my case Bennetts refused to put the quote in writing so I was stuffed!

Simmo
2019 Tiger 1200 XRT in White fitted with Puig Touring Screen, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, Givi Trekker Outback 58L Box and Corben Heated Seat.

Online Will Morgan

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1112
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Oh No Insurance renewal time
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 12:44:05 PM »
I don't know if its relevant to peoples woes with renewal prices but today Visordown is reporting Bennetts is up for sale by owners Saga.

Previous experience with Carols Nash (who are now just like any other insurance brokers) shows it doesn't bode well for customers when specialists bike insurers are bought/sold to non-specialist insurance conglomerates.

Offline sirsidneyrd

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1343
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
  • Country: UK
Re: Oh No Insurance renewal time
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 06:09:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Simmo [+]
Some companies will try and match/beat your best quote BUT only if you can produce written evidence of the quote. In my case Bennetts refused to put the quote in writing so I was stuffed!

Simmo

Just screen shot the comparison website - i generally have it open anyway 
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Online JG_XRT

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 134
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
  • Country: United States
Re: Oh No Insurance renewal time
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2019, 03:41:18 PM »
If it's any consolation to you gents on the other side of the pond, my insurance here in Michigan, USA is kind of on the expensive side, but include in our premium is a payment to the Michigan Catastrophic Claims Fund (somewhere between $250 and $300).

This pays into a fund that covers unlimited medical expenses for people involved in motor vehicle crashes.  This is a per vehicle charge, so with 2 cars and 2 motorcycles, we are giving the state about $1200 a year.

I should mention that if you are involved in a crash in your car, then the CCF covers your medical expenses when your insurance runs out.

If you are involved in a Motorcycle crash, you're on your own.  Lovely system.
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Online CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4460
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: Oh No Insurance renewal time
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2019, 07:07:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by JG_XRT [+]
If you are involved in a Motorcycle crash, you're on your own.  Lovely system.
Ah, a 'sin tax' then.

Spare a kind thought for those of us living above the 49th. My annual insurance cost is close to C $1,700 for my TEX.   And that's with a 43% safe driver's discount!
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online XCaTel

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 906
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
  • Country: Ireland
Re: Oh No Insurance renewal time
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2019, 07:42:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]

Spare a kind thought for those of us living above the 49th. My annual insurance cost is close to C $1,700 for my TEX.   And that's with a 43% safe driver's discount!
WHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttttt !!!!!! Jeez Cap'n, you're making me feel lucky with my premium which I thought was harsh.

Online CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4460
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: Oh No Insurance renewal time
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2019, 08:54:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
WHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttttt !!!!!! Jeez Cap'n, you're making me feel lucky with my premium which I thought was harsh.
Yeah, and it is only getting worse here. Our state-run insurance company has just switched from a per vehicle insurance model to a per driver model. So everyone who will ever drive the vehicle now has to be listed and the cost will be calculated based on the driver with the WORST driving record along with an aggregate of all the other drivers.  :033:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline TotnesSteve

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 276
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
  • Country: U.K.
Re: Oh No Insurance renewal time
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2019, 11:37:54 AM »
I stick with the IAM-linked broker, Cornmarket. They are really on the ball and automatically switch me to a better underwriter. I use them for the car and house too. Based in Belfast, so you do need to listen carefully, so you do. :-)

My son (also an IAM member, thanks to the bank of Mum&Dad) had a different experience. He could get a better deal elsewhere for his car, so when the annual IAM membership was added in, it wasn't such good value. But I get the benefit that being driven by him is a totally relaxing experience, compared with before his IAM training. He had a really good observer/trainer.
--------
If not now, when?

Offline TotnesSteve

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 276
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
  • Country: U.K.
Re: Oh No Insurance renewal time
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2019, 11:41:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by TotnesSteve [+]
I stick with the IAM-linked broker, Cornmarket. They are really on the ball and automatically switch me to a better underwriter. I use them for the car and house too. Based in Belfast, so you do need to listen carefully, so you do. :-)

My son (also an IAM member, thanks to the bank of Mum&Dad) had a different experience. He could get a better deal elsewhere for his car, so when the annual IAM membership was added in, it wasn't such good value. But I get the benefit that being driven by him is a totally relaxing experience, compared with before his IAM training. He had a really good observer/trainer.

£308 for the Tex. Full NCB. Living in Devon. Retired. 7,000 miles a year. NCB protected. Covers Bloodbiking.
--------
If not now, when?

Offline Pailton

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 85
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Leicester
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Oh No Insurance renewal time
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2019, 01:49:20 AM »
Just on the IAM theme, when my insurance with Bennett's came up for renewal it had gone up as normal so I called them and got them to double check everything I was covered for. What did come out of the conversation was the fact they don't insure you whilst you are operating as an Observer for the IAM, I had no choice but to look else where and discovered some others either wouldn't insure me or applied a premium.
I turned to Cornmarket who cover me no problem along with legal cover, all the accessories and gear covered for £680 ish a year, the reason why its so high is I do about 20k miles a year, reduce the mileage and the premium comes down quite a bit. On top of that they let me add an old R1 I bought as a project on to the policy for an extra £50.

 At the moment I've been quite impressed, the only true test though is when you need them which hopefully I wont do for a very long time. 

 


Recent Topics

nonskid