Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GEN 3 Oil analysis 7.7K miles  (Read 772 times)

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
Re: GEN 3 Oil analysis 7.7K miles
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 10:06:07 PM »
I use quality bike specific semi synthetic oil - plus a quality aftermarket filter - change it a 5-6k miles - never had an issue. I buy 20 l of oil at £70 plus a filter at around £6 so it costs around £20 plus my labour . For the cost of  this and doing it myself its cheap insurance. I've covered hundreds of thousands of miles on this philosphy on many makes - never had an engine issue.  :002:

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 10:11:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by eps [+]
I've covered hundreds of thousands of miles on this philosphy on many makes - never had an engine issue.  :002:
But you cannot attribute "never having an engine issue" to your oil change routine. I've never had an alien spaceship land on my front lawn but I can't attribute that to me not mowing the lawn.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 10:43:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
I've never had an alien spaceship land on my front lawn but I can't attribute that to me not mowing the lawn.
So that's why you don't mow your lawn...   :038:

Anybody who has experience doing oil changes on vehicles over time can eyeball the oil coming out and quickly decide for themselves whether the oil looks clean, dirty or really dirty and adjust their change interval to something that they feel comfortable with. It really isn't rocket science.

"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline oxidefilm

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '13 Tex
  • City / Town: NYC
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 01:45:07 AM »
Serious question: Has anyone had an engine die/seize/blow due to not changing your oil every X,000 miles? Or have any of you seen an engine with serious issues due to this? I'm not talking about "I saw some unusual wear when I pulled the cam cover"...real damage.

I see these threads on all the forums for all the bikes I own/have owned and so many people "play it safe" and change their oil WAY more often than recommended/needed. I really don't understand. Are you guys planning on riding these bikes for 500,000 miles?

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 03:58:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by oxidefilm [+]
Are you guys planning on riding these bikes for 500,000 miles?
Well, I was planning on keeping mine for 10 years, given that the resale value is not that great. But that brings up the other point. When I do sell my TEX privately, I will be able to provide written records that show that I DID DO more frequent servicing than was necessary. And while it may not buy me more dollars, it WILL make it easier to sell. No one has ever come back to me after I sold them one of my bikes and complained that I ripped them off or concealed the real condition of the bike.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 05:48:35 AM »
I put over 10K on my bike a year so the yearly change doesn't effect me. 

How long do I plan on keeping my bike, I am not sure?  Maybe I will see how many miles I can get out of it before it does die. 

The whole idea for me is to get the most life I can out of an oil change so I don't waste money but I also want to have some buffer in there in case I run it in a hard manor and use up some of the buffer.

I might give 10K a try but the other thing is the shifting keep degrading and while maybe the oil can lubricate longer the shifting feel might make me change it.

Right now I wouldn't have an issue with a 7K oil change.  Currently I have 18.5K miles on the bike and I figure I will hit the valve check in about a month.  I will change out the oil which will have around 7-8K on it.  Check that oil sample and then fill with fresh after the valve change.  I like to change it after a valve change to make sure any dirt that might have knocked into the engine gets flushed out right away.  Just in case it is sharp and cuts through the filter media and keeps circulating.   I could then try a 10K and it would be aligned with the air filter.

If what you think what I am doing is bunk, then continue on with your scheduled oil change interval and ignore me.   :001:

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2019, 10:50:16 AM »
Time for my two cents.
I ride all year long, 80% highway stabilized on CC (minus the constant traffic jams and filtering of course), 20% of stop and go and (sometimes spirited) backroads.
That makes a total 20,000 km a year (so I service the bike more than once a year).

I'm on my 3rd Tiger 1200 and I've always had the oil replaced by the dealer (and I don't think he uses any fancy über synthetic rocket science oil; I suspect if he could use MacDonald's fries rejects, he would).
As far as engine health goes, everything has always been fine: no seizure, no loss of performance, no sudden drop in mileage, nothing at all (beyond the usual roughness, corrected by the 12 minute tune routine). That's for a total of around 120,000 km done on T12s.

FWIW, I sold Mrs NiK's '87 VFR with 210,000 km on it and despite constant abuse and neglected service intervals (have you ever witnessed engine oil looking like bitumen?), the engine was still rock solid.

Engineering voices are often shut off by marketing jesters, it's a fact. However, engineers often go über anal on everything they work on. That's another fact. So I wouldn't take any general rule from all of this.
Engines do wear more when used on shorter distances with frequent cold starts. This would worry me much more than a couple thousands km more or less on a given oil.

I had my fair share of problems in 7 years of ownership, but never in the engine department. I actually believe that engineering is the only thing really mastered by manufacturers now, thanks to more than one century of continuous improvement. Electronics (auto shutting off lights, heated seats that don't heat in Winter...), software (oh yeah keyless rules!), industrial quality (can you say 'warped disks'? No? Then try 'untrue rims'!) are the shadows where problems patiently await their finest hours.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 10:53:06 AM by NiK »

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2019, 12:06:26 PM »

I average about 12-15,000 miles a year.... I use a quality motorcycle specific synthetic and change it about every 3000 miles...I took a 6000 mile trip in the early fall so I obviously  missed my 3k interval on that  one but I changed it as soon as I got home.

I may be wasting money but I like knowing I have clean oil in my motors... I earn my living working on engines so I know what they look like when they are maintained and what they look like when they are not...Ive   seen engines that were sludged that has followed the manufactures service interval..this is normally due to cheap oil that was run too long... 

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2019, 01:58:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
Ive   seen engines that were sludged that has followed the manufactures service interval..this is normally due to cheap oil that was run too long...
So if you use decent oil as per the Triumph specification all should be well for 10K no?

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2019, 03:56:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
So if you use decent oil as per the Triumph specification all should be well for 10K no?

as long as the engine is in good  shape and running well,  I dont see any reason it wouldn't be ..oils have come a long way in the last 10 years and are way better than they use to be...barring any fuel or moisture contamination, 10K is not unreasonable for a quality synthetic oil...but  personally wont leave it in that long. .its probably my OCD... :001:

Recent Topics