Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: VHF Mobile Radio  (Read 229 times)

Online JohnCFI

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Desire the Right... to ride
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCx
  • City / Town: Stanley
VHF Mobile Radio
« on: September 20, 2019, 09:27:20 PM »
I was planning to fit a VHF Mobile Radio  (Specifically an Icom IC-2300H) on the bike.  Plan is to fit it in a pannier on a Anti-vibration mount, with a power quick release.  Usage will be while riding (via helmet & Sena Bluetooth).  and obviously I will wire a relay so it goes off with the ignition.  But I was wondering, about drawing power from the bikes main battery.  on Transmit the Radio draws around 12 amps and on receive about 0.5 amps.  Although transmit will probably be only for a short period (not constant), will it cause an issue with the Electronics/ECU on the bike.
John Clifford
Stanley
Falkland Islands

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Re: VHF Mobile Radio
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 12:54:55 AM »
Hopefully the radio won't affect the ECU.  But it may well cause the keyfob receiver to play up, then telling you it is out of range.
-I had this happen to me the other day when I was about to take off from a servo with smart pumps and screens playing ads right next to the bike.
But the bike still started OK.
No matter where you put the aerial, it won't be far from the keyfob receiver, and transmission may overwhelm it.

My 4W UHF CB doesn't seem to affect the bike or keyfob.  I mount it on the handlebars with the antenna pointing up, and use a Sena SR10 with it.

Good luck.  Keep us posted.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 04:35:51 AM »
I thought that VHF was reserved for marine usage only.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online JohnCFI

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 06:59:18 AM »
144 - 146 MHZ is the VHF Amateur Radio Band.  We also have a section of it allocated for safety comms here in the Falklands.

Not got the bike in my hands yet (its travelling from the UK on a ship) but I think it has a key start, so thinking it wont have a keyfob receiver.  Output on this radio is 55watts, antenna will be fixed to rear of a pannier, i use one quite happily on my quadbike and didnt mess with ecu.  My concern was really drawing 12 amps, from the Tigers battery, will it upset the ecu or other electronics..
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 07:02:06 AM by JohnCFI »
John Clifford
Stanley
Falkland Islands

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 08:04:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by JohnCFI [+]
144 - 146 MHZ is the VHF Amateur Radio Band.  We also have a section of it allocated for safety comms here in the Falklands.

Not got the bike in my hands yet (its travelling from the UK on a ship) but I think it has a key start, so thinking it wont have a keyfob receiver.  Output on this radio is 55watts, antenna will be fixed to rear of a pannier, i use one quite happily on my quadbike and didnt mess with ecu.  My concern was really drawing 12 amps, from the Tigers battery, will it upset the ecu or other electronics..
I use a 10A rated pump from the front power socket on my 2018 Gen 3 and it has never caused any problems. I tend to leave the bike running for those few minutes just to give the battery a fighting chance for the next days start.

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 08:26:44 AM »
Yes, keep the engine running. The bike's generator/alternator is powerful but that won't help if its not spinning!

From experience I would wire the radio directly to the battery. My bike's electrics don't like too much load on the power outlets. No fuses blew but it wouldn't power up my compressor so I assume there's some overload cut out?  Direct from battery with engine running was fine.

Online JohnCFI

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 12:39:02 PM »
Thank you, that is really useful.  It will only be used when engine running, was planning a direct install to battery, with a relay to ignition to prevent use otherwise.  Will be using a S10 PTT and bluetooth to the SC1a in my Shuberth C4 helmet.  Its cost a bomb to have it all, but the options for chatting to others and entertainment should be worthwhile.

I will post how it goes (and if it works) in due course....

Thanks again..
John Clifford
Stanley
Falkland Islands

Recent Topics