Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gen. 2 valve clearances?  (Read 976 times)

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: RTW
Re: Gen. 2 valve clearances?
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 12:23:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Where did you get this information from? Do you have a Triumph Service Bulletin that documents this change?

Info came directly from Triumph and yes it was published. Mark was also notified of the changes to update his own publications.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 05:02:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dragon88 [+]
Info came directly from Triumph and yes it was published. Mark was also notified of the changes to update his own publications.
This is the first that I have heard of this. When did this info come out? Service bulletin number?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 12:45:16 PM »
Hi - is this true ? Just above to remove cam cover to check mine !! :021:

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 08:08:46 PM »
For whats its worth I phonedD Lings Triumph and emailed Triumph themselves on the valve clearances for the Gen1 the figures are :-
Inlet 0.1-0.15mm
Exhaust 0.275-0.325

Hope this helps - need 8 new shims to get mine perfectly in range.

Offline utahrpm

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '17 XRX
  • City / Town: SLC, UT
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 09:10:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by eps [+]
For whats its worth I phonedD Lings Triumph and emailed Triumph themselves on the valve clearances for the Gen1 the figures are :-
Inlet 0.1-0.15mm
Exhaust 0.275-0.325

Hope this helps - need 8 new shims to get mine perfectly in range.

Based on a previous post indicating a change in specs I spoke to my SELLING dealers service manager today and asked them to research it. They got back to me and said they did multiple searches, first entering my MY 2107 vin number which brings up the specs and service bulletins as well as searching their other Triumph online resources. They could only verify the published specs that you state above. They also looked for a change to Gen 1 specs and could not find any change. They did confirm that shims are still available in .025 increments despite what I was told (and reported here) by my LOCAL dealer. As a note, my SELLING dealer is 12 hours away and as this my second purchase from them I will say it is one of the most professional and helpful dealers that I have ever worked with in 50 years of motorcycling. Shoutout to Empire Cycle, Spokane, WA.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 12:18:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by eps [+]
Inlet 0.1-0.15mm
Exhaust 0.275-0.325
I would like to see something in writing from Triumph before I would use the wider valve clearance specs.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline utahrpm

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '17 XRX
  • City / Town: SLC, UT
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 02:39:42 AM »
I would like to see something in writing from Triumph before I would use the wider valve clearance specs.

I agree. My selling dealer, especially the small service department, as I said, is first-rate. It’s certainly possible that despite their efforts to verify, the specs have changed. Anyone?

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2019, 02:11:49 AM »
This is the first that I have heard of this. When did this info come out? Service bulletin number?

It came from the head mech at a Triumph dealership. I had it in writing but I recently lost all my data when my laptop failed. I will try and speak with him today and update.

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 02:32:53 AM »
As requested.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 03:58:33 AM »
Well, that is interesting. Your info appears to have come from a data sheet. I would be interested in knowing what date is on that sheet.

Here is what I have.

Triumph Tiger Explorer Service manual (Issue 1 - 03.2012)
Inlet:  0.10 - 0.15 mm
Exhaust: 0.275 - 0.325 mm

Triumph Tiger Explorer Data Sheet  (Issue 9 - 11.2012)
Inlet: 0.10 - 0.20 mm
Exhaust: 0.275 - 0.325 mm

Your datasheet (??)
Inlet: 0.10 - 0.20 mm
Exhaust: 0.25 - 0.35 mm

It is almost like they rounded them off to use the more common shim sizes in 0.05 mm increments
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 04:05:45 AM by CaptainTrips »

Recent Topics