Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: It’s time  (Read 791 times)

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
It’s time
« on: October 20, 2019, 06:09:58 PM »
Time for something new.  Been with T since October 2014 and have racked up 32000 miles.  Unfortunately the riding I’m planning is just too much for the bike.  So it’s either going to be a 1290 or the new AT.  hoping to put bike on the market by next month. 
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: It’s time
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 06:40:23 PM »
Change is as good as a rest as they say, good luck with your new choice. As a previous owner of a 2016 Africa Twin just see if you can take an extended test ride on it before committing if possible. I found the AT very uncomfortable in the saddle. Gel pads AND Moro-Skiveez whenever I took a trip.  I just finished three ten hour days  on my T12 in Northern Ireland this weekend, it was an absolute breeze.

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 11:38:15 PM »
I'm curious.  What sort of riding is it, that an Africa Twin is better at than a TEx?

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 09:04:44 AM »
Probably lots of stand up riding, which is where the AT really shines.
Anyway, sad to see you go, Californian mate, and good luck with your new adventures!

Offline snicker

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer '13
  • City / Town: De Wijk
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 05:23:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Change is as good as a rest as they say, good luck with your new choice. As a previous owner of a 2016 Africa Twin just see if you can take an extended test ride on it before committing if possible. I found the AT very uncomfortable in the saddle. Gel pads AND Moro-Skiveez whenever I took a trip.  I just finished three ten hour days  on my T12 in Northern Ireland this weekend, it was an absolute breeze.

So true, I had the 2018 Africa Twin, kept it less than a year and went back to the Explorer XCA.
An expensive lesson.... :034:

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 05:53:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by anaheimtex [+]
Time for something new.  Been with T since October 2014 and have racked up 32000 miles.  Unfortunately the riding I’m planning is just too much for the bike.  So it’s either going to be a 1290 or the new AT.  hoping to put bike on the market by next month.

Good luck and have fun. Pictures and ride reports here too, please  :821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline thumper

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '18 XRt
  • City / Town: California
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 09:57:34 PM »
We all have changing priorities & needs.    Ten years ago my garage hosted 600cc & 1000cc crotch rockets, an ST1300 and a standard bike.

Today, my Tiger 1200 is all by herself...and that's perfectly okay with my current riding style.   

Good luck on your switch.   :821:
ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander.

Offline jaiyenyen

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XCA
  • City / Town: courtenay bc
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 10:51:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by KenW [+]
I'm curious.  What sort of riding is it, that an Africa Twin is better at than a TEx?
  Probably off road riding which the Honda is better suited for.

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 12:37:27 AM »

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 01:46:08 AM »
Since one of my riding buddies bought one, I have been able to ride it allot more than just a quick test drive.  The above link has some merits but boy I like the bike.  about 100 lbs lighter and boy that sucker has power.  Yes there are some electronic gremlins and I am not to fancy on the key fob but every bike seems to be going there.  what really sold me was protection and aftermarket stuff available.  It really is a big dirt bike.  The bike really is much beefier and for BCDR I don't think I would want to try with my 2014 explorer.  I have not had a trouble free TEX but I have made some 3-4k mile trips and It did very well.  as my age gets up there, I see less and less trips involving rugged off-road roads.  In a few years I may be on a straight cruiser.  LOL  I ride at work, too and from work, and long tours across the states.  May be the worst decision or the best.  who knows.  The most important thing is I still ride and will so until I am unable to get on.  BTW the 1290 R is really hard to get on.  Even for my 6-3 frame. 

Not gone yet until the fat lady is sold.  still have to get to work.
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Recent Topics

nonskid