Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Northern Ireland Coastal Route  (Read 387 times)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Northern Ireland Coastal Route
« on: October 22, 2019, 08:35:38 PM »
I spent a long weekend (Friday to Sunday) on a round trip covering 1050 kilometres from Kildare in the South up and around the Northern Irish Coastline. It is a great run and gets good from about Larne and on up the "Mourne Coastal route". If you ever decide to do Ireland from Scotland get the Ferry to Larne and turn right when you get off! Don't skip NI and head straight west, you'd be missing great roads. At Belfast the coast road turns into the "Causeway Coastal Route" and it gets even better.

If you're into stops and sightseeing there is plenty to do and see, just take a full week, if you just like riding it's just as entertaining. I skipped all the Castles, Giants Causeway etc etc and just enjoyed the great roads, perfect Tiger country. The road to Torr head is entertaining and made for Adventure bikes. Really nothing there but you can park up, stick you stove on for a brew and just enjoy the scenery. Scotland is only 12 miles away! If you are into Game of Thrones you can drop across off-route into the Dark Hedges but you want to be a very big fan, it will take you about 20 seconds to ride the road and is not that impressive (sometimes closed to Traffic too)!

After Portrush and Portstewart I extended the route out crossing back into the Republic via Londonderry/Derry and headed to the tip of Inishowen up the east side to Irelands most northerly point, Malin Head. This is the start (or end) of the Republics "Wild Atlantic Way" (WAW). I followed the WAW down the west of the peninsular but pull back into Northern Ireland to hit the Sperrin's, not to be missed, back down to Omagh, Enniskillin then on home.

I enjoyed this route so much I know I'm going back already.

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
Re: Northern Ireland Coastal Route
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 09:50:54 PM »
 :821: :821: :821: :028:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Online Xtof

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer Xrt '19
  • City / Town: Antwerpen
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 10:19:23 AM »
Wow, nice tour!
A trip to the Islands is definitely on my to do list... Will keep this in mind  :047:
Thanks for the info!

Xtof

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 09:45:17 PM »
This is a fab route - NI is very underated in terms of great roads - Torr Head is fab - coast roast is great - just be careful - some of the bends can catch you out - great pics thanks

Offline garylyt1

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Coleraine
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 10:15:00 PM »
Great to hear you enjoyed your time on the Antrim coast road. This is a road i ride frequently as i live 5 mins from the North Coast of Northern Ireland. Have to agree that the scenery is spectacular and the twisty roads are something to be enjoyed each and every time you go for a ride. As always we don't appreciate the roads that are nearby and if anyone is thinking of coming over just give us a shout and it'd be great to meet up for a ride out  :031:

Recent Topics

nonskid