Author Topic: Is anyone interested in maintenance training sessions?  (Read 5836 times)

Offline MarksMotorCycleParts

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bath
Re: Is anyone interested in maintenance training sessions?
Reply #30 on: July 16, 2020, 05:02:00 PM
Strange that I've just had a notification on this thread as I'm emailing everyone who has expressed an interest....

Time to revive this old thread, and get the Service School underway.

The plan is to run three separate courses:
Basic: Removing front & rear wheels, cleaning brake calipers, oil & filter change, electrical health check, coolant change, replacing chain & sprockets / final drive oil change, replacing spark plugs (BMW flat twins).
Advanced: Checking & setting valve clearances, replacing spark plugs, replacing air filter.
Suspension: Remove forks & yokes, change fork oil, check & regrease steering head bearings, strip & regrease rear suspension linkage, remove swingarm & regrease bearings (chain drive bikes).
All courses will include: Introductions, workshop safety, choosing & using tools, and a bike health check.
Places will be limited to four per day, and will be hands-on: for the basic course, everyone will get to carry out one or two tasks on their own bike, on the advanced course one or two owners will get to work through the valve clearance check on their bike, for the suspension course two or three will service their rear suspension while the fourth will do the forks & yokes on their bike.
Each course will be a full day, with workshop sessions starting at 9:30 (so please plan to arrive between 9:00 and 9:30), and will run until around 4:00, but the finish time will be very much dependant on how quickly the work goes and how much we talk around other servicing work.

As far as possible the courses will be limited to one make & model of bike per course, so the courses are as relevant as possible for you & your bike, but we will talk about transferrable skills and in reality the training will be about mechanical maintenance and not just about the Tiger Explorer or R1200 etc.

I’m contacting the people who got in touch when I first floated this idea several months ago. If I’ve missed you off the list please message me now as a reminder, and also if you’re seeing this for the first time please let me know your thoughts.

Courses will run from my workshop on Anglesey, post code LL71 8DE. If you’re planning to stay locally on the previous night let me know and I’ll recommend a campsite or B&B.
I’d like to start running courses from the start of September. The cost per course will be £100 plus oil, filters etc at cost, and will include morning & afternoon refreshments and lunch. You will also get copies of my Motorcycle Service & Maintenance Manual and model-specific service manual for your bike (total rrp £50), so you will not need to take notes on the day. I will happily run some ladies-only courses if there is a demand.

If you’re interested please get in touch – what I need to know from you is the make, model & year of your bike, the day of the week that suits you best (I’m thinking of Saturday but it’s what suits you that matters most), which of the above courses you are interested in, which items in the list of work you’d most like to do on your bike, and how much servicing experience you have.
Finally and most important of all: The key thing is that you get a benefit out of the day. If the conversation, and the work we cover, goes off in an unplanned direction that’s perfectly ok. So long as everyone is happy with it, we can miss items off the planned list and substitute others instead. I need you to enjoy the day and maximise the value you get from it more than I need to stick to any pre-prepared syllabus.

Thanks for reading, Mark

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #31 on: July 19, 2020, 07:59:29 AM
Lets start things off with a couple of the basic courses, aimed at anyone new to servicing or with limited experience. These first courses will be for the Tiger Explorer only, and places are limited to four per course so that everyone gets a chance to do some hands-on work on their own bike.

We will cover; a Mini-MOT bike health check, removing the front & rear wheels, cleaning brake calipers, oil & filter change, electrical health check, coolant change, and a final drive oil change. During the day there will be plenty of time for discussing any service questions you may have, and so long as the group is happy to change from the planned syllabus we can cover other work as requested by you. If you need some help in getting together a toolkit for working on your own bike I can make some recommendations for you or order a selection of tools for you.

Please let me know by PM or by email to mark@marksmotorcycleparts.co.uk if you would like to book onto courses on 29 August or 5 September. Once these dates are full I will offer more dates on this and also the other two courses.

The cost will be £100 (£30 on booking - paypal or credit card - and the balance on the day please) and will include refreshments & lunch, and also copies of the Motorcycle Service & Maintenance Manual and Tiger Explorer Service Manual (I'm aware that quite a few forum members already have the service manual, so I'm pleased to offer my Touring book as an alternative). When booking please let me know whether your bike is Mk1, Mk2 or Mk3.

So you can get the best out of the day please let me know what tasks you would most like to do on your own bike, and I will do my best to accommodate everyone's wishes. If you would like to do the oil & filter change please let me know if you have a preferred brand (oil & filter will be charged at cost). I have a stock of Castrol SAF-XO for the final drive (no charge for this). I will make sure I have all the consumables here beforehand so that all you need to do is turn up on the day.

Thanks, Mark

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #32 on: August 17, 2020, 10:06:53 AM
There is a course booked for 05/09 with places available if anyone would like to book onto that.
We will cover removing wheels, cleaning brake calipers, engine oil & filter change, final drive oil change, plus anything else that we have time for that crops up from discussion on the day. Aimed at anyone without a lot of recent experience, the intention is to give you the confidence and knowledge to carry out those jobs on your own bike. Please let me know if you're interested.

I know several riders are keen on doing the valve service course. These will follow in a month or two.

Cheers for now, Mark

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #33 on: September 29, 2020, 09:47:28 AM
I typed this up a couple weeks ago but since the CV is returning with some vengeance now I delayed posting it…. it’s not appropriate to book up any more dates at the moment, but I’d still be interested to share my latest thoughts and to get some expressions of interest from you.
The basic courses will run for a maximum of four people, covering an engine oil & filter change, removing & replacing wheels, cleaning brake calipers, final drive oil change or chain & sprocket maintenance, and discussion of changing spark plugs & air filter (there won’t be time to change these where they require the fuel tank to be removed). We will work on two bikes at a time, with a swap around at lunchtime so that everyone gets half a day hands-on, and half a day observing. £100 per person plus parts at cost price (typically oil & filter at £25 – £35). If we end up with two on the course you’ll get to do everything hands-on.
The advanced course will cover a valve clearance adjustment, and changing the air filter & spark plugs. After learning from the initial run of courses, I’m offering two alternatives – to check and set the clearances on your bike will cost £150 plus I’ll exchange your shims at £5 each and air filter / spark plugs at cost. Initially I will only book in one bike a day but this may change to two bikes after the first few courses. To attend as an observer will cost £75 (maximum 3 per day). I anticipate more people wanting to be hands-on rather than observing, so you may end up getting a 1:1 day.
The suspension course will cover a strip down, clean, inspect, grease & reassemble of the rear shock linkage, and then remove forks, change fork oil, remove & inspect headstock bearings & reassemble. Maximum of 4; two doing the rear suspension and two doing the front with everyone else observing. £100 a day plus fork oil at cost. Depending on numbers, you may get to do everything hands-on.
The basic course and the suspension course are easy to do as ride-in-ride-out one-day events. The valve service takes longer because of the need to remove the bodywork & fuel tank first. I have spoken to a few people interested in this course and I’m happy for you to arrive here mid-afternoon on the day before, so that we can remove the bodywork and fuel tank. I will run you to your hotel and pick you up the following morning so that we have a head start when the course begins.
There is a very good, well priced B&B less than 1 mile from here. If you are staying over please let me know and I can pass on their details.

If you would like a custom course covering anything else, a ladies-only day, or an exclusive booking for you and your mates please get in touch to discuss.

Courses run from LL71 8DE, North Wales. £30 deposit payable on booking, balance due on the day.
Thanks for reading. Feedback please….

Offline divebuddy101

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer XRT 2017
  • City / Town: LONGCOT
Reply #34 on: September 29, 2020, 12:40:58 PM
Hi Mark

I would like to do the advanced one in july or august next year probably including the valves please.
I will contact you nearer the time to get this arranged with you.
Thanks again for when I attended the other course you did,  really did enjoy it.
Cheers
Chris

Offline FellZebra

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Reply #35 on: September 30, 2020, 11:54:41 AM
Hi Mark
Yes I'd be interested in the advanced course.
Will look out for the dates / info as it becomes available
Cheers

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #36 on: September 30, 2020, 02:46:27 PM
Would be interested in the advanced course when things get back to normal with the valve service assuming that includes cam removal and shim replacement rather than just measurement. Based in Ireland but you are only 30 minutes from the Ferry terminal so a couple of nights I would make of it. My sister lives in Bethesda so accomodation is sorted!

nonskid