Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Aux Fuel Tank for LDR  (Read 762 times)

Offline Sidi1200

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Phantom Explorer
  • City / Town: Sydney
Aux Fuel Tank for LDR
« on: October 26, 2019, 04:58:25 AM »
For those people like me, who do Long Distance Rides, and don't want to Stop for refueling.. this is tested and works great for me.
You can Spend Thousands or ... a few hundred as in this case.. Total Budget was $250 Aus pasos !!

AUX FUEL TANK
The Option of 'T'ing into the vent line.
(That does work but it may require a few fiddly fuel lines).
You don't have to 'T' into the vent line. Just take the vent line off the TEX tank and attach the outlet fuel line from your aux tank. No tap required. The TEX tank can be loosened and tilted back (But Not Required) to reach the vent line (next to the overflow line). The bike tank now vents via the aux tank vent. See Diag

Tubes can be attached with Long Nose Pliers without undoing the Tank Fasteners. Clamp that Line onto the spiggot.

Install a RollOver Check Valve in the Aux Tank Breather Line.. For SAFETY !!  Check Orientation of Valve so that Air is passed into the Aux Tank, but fluid does not get sucked out. The “Pig Tail” is a secondary safety catch. If a Lay Over happens, No Fuel will spill out.. BUT ! if somehow fuel does find its way into the breather tube, Make absolute sure the Line is NOT vented over the Exhaust Side..!!! 

And an Inline Fuel Filter from Aux to Main Tank Line

When both tanks are full and you ride away from the Petrol Station, the fuel pump sucks fuel from the aux tank straight into the Main tank, litre for litre. At the same time air is drawn, (litre for litre), into the Aux vent line from outside.
Once the Aux is empty the bike tank starts drawing in air straight through the Aux.
The filling procedure is strict, IF Gravity Feeding Fuel.
Starting with the Aux empty (it was empty in your shed) first, fill the bike tank and put the cap on. Fill the aux and put the cap on.

Do not open the bike tank unless you are positive the aux is empty - otherwise fuel will pour out the moment you open the cap.

Do not fill the Aux unless you are positive the bike tank is full. Otherwise you may create a vapour lock as there is a big bubble of air at the top of the bike tank.

That air can't get out and the aux fuel can't easily get in. If the bike seems to be starved of fuel out on the road when you know you have gallons on board this is the likely cause. Carefully open the bike cap and you will hear air hissing. Wait a bit and the fuel from the aux will start to flow and fill the bike tank to the top. Cap it before it overflows.
Mounting on a bike can be easy. Buy a spare pillion seat from eBay or a Wrecker. Drill straight though it and bolt appropriately.
Or,
Just use some strong cam buckle straps to hold the tank rigidly. Removing the tank to take it back to Mountain Carving mode is then quick and easy.
You can leave the aux outlet line as your vent if you are regularly going to do LD rides on the Bike, otherwise, just swap the aux and vent line back to normal again.

Below is the Spares & ByPass Kit. If something goes wrong on a LDR, some how ? The Bypass works by disconnecting the Fuel Line & Breather line from the Aux Tank, and connecting the 2 lines together. This allows to have the Aux Tank to be full of Fuel but only used as a Fuel carrier. And the Bike to be operating as Normal.

Anyone can make it complicated..... Its pure Genius to make it Simple....
A Scotsman once told me that "the best glass to drink whisky out of, is the one that doesn't leak"

Offline dunc

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: explorer 1200
  • City / Town: nsw
Re: Aux Fuel Tank for LDR
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 07:59:35 AM »
like that as its simple       :460:

Offline Xtof

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrt '19
  • City / Town: Antwerpen
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 11:29:34 AM »
Waw, great work and thanks for sharing.
Not planning a long trip / world tour kind of thing, but this is one of the issues i kind of fear, falling without gas. It's not huge and there's no aftermarket solutions, this seems like an excellent workaround!

Xtof

Offline R3Tex

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Houston, TX
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 01:18:53 PM »
Great idea and thanks for posting it! I am currently working with a local fabricator to come up with a similar solution. I am riding the Ironbutt rally in '21 so I have to pass a safety inspection and apparently one of the things that is a no-no is a strap on fuel tank. The one we are designing will be made from Aluminum and mounted to the frame, but the piping will be very similar to what you have described. Good to know that it works!
2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT
2013 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
2013 HD Ultra Limited Anniversary

Offline Sidi1200

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 10:08:12 PM »
Correct. This is a Marine Tank. Prohibited by IBA. The method will work very well for an IBA approved race cell. I will mount that inside an Ali Topbox, using the exact same lines & connectors.
A Scotsman once told me that "the best glass to drink whisky out of, is the one that doesn't leak"

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 03:56:54 PM »
has anyone used a gravity feed tank from the rear rack to the tank drain of the gen 3 bikes. seem that might be an easy fix. :015:

Offline Sidi1200

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 05:48:20 AM »
This Method will work for all Models, all Gen's..
With Gravity feeding , the Aux Tank Outlet must be higher than the Main Tank Filler Cap.. That makes it ungainly.
I have seen this on one of my LDR's..

Recent Topics

nonskid