Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 900 Rally & Tiger 900 GT range launched soon - death of the T12?  (Read 4476 times)

Duff-on-2 and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Tiger 900 Rally & Tiger 900 GT range launched soon - death of the T12?
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2019, 11:53:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by redmerle [+]
Not keen on the re adoption of the early '90's graphics that Triumph realised were a mistake by 1994...

I don't mind the mid 90's graphics! (1995)

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2019, 01:57:14 PM »
While the HP is the same the torque went up a little.  The interesting thing I see is while the power did stay the same it comes in lower in the RPM range. 

The 800 has 94 bhp (70 kW) @ 9,500 rpm and 79Nm @ 8,050rpm
The 900 has 93.9 bhp (70 kW) @ 8,750 rpm and 87 Nm @ 7,250 rpm 87

I read the specs and it says much more usable power than just peak numbers that I can't normally use.   Few pounds lighter and a larger fuel tank.  Seems things are going the right direction. 

Online NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2019, 03:33:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
While the HP is the same the torque went up a little.
I wouldn't qualify 10% more torque delivered 10% sooner as "little". It certainly is perceivable (and to be expected since they increased the engine size).

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2019, 04:32:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by bazthebike [+]
Im disappointed with the 900 spec. 95 bhp. same as old 800. if that had been 110 bhp + my explorer would be gone. I was really hoping this would have been better as I struggle with the weight. that 900 is only 194kg. maybe the gearing is better. ?
Only 95 bhp. My next adventure (Phoenix AZ to Cabo San Lucas Mexico) is going to be on my new 24.5 hp Himalayan. I expect to have a lot of fun... albeit in the slow lane.  :305:  :001:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: OJAI
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2019, 04:35:06 PM »
The red is fugly, the white is nice!

Now, UPDATE OUR TFT's TO LOOK LIKE THE 900 TFT (IN THE PICS) AND GIVE US BLUETOOTH and GPS/TURN-BY_TURN! Why all caps you ask...because I am yelling :232:

I am loving my 2019 1200 XCA! I am looking forward to the TFT updates. Bike is doing great! I have owned it for 8 months, 5 months of that I didn't ride much because I was out-of-work and that killed the buzz, and I still have 12,000 miles on mine! I am planning on piling the miles on this thing! Do I have any concerns? OF COURSE! I own a Triumph :016: I had bad luck with my Trophy and that has me worried with every mile I put on the Tiger!

I am hoping the Tiger gives me 5 years of ownership with little to no issues, unlike the Trophy. If that happens, I will more-than-likely see what the 1200's look like at that time and hopefully continue with the Triumph brand. I like the looks of that new 900 and I am certain they will make some really nice updates to the 1200 over the next 4 years. For me, I would like to see 2 things; 1) a larger fuel tank and 2) updated TFT with Bluetooth and GPS. Add those and the Tiger is the best ADV bike, best bike out there!
"You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding."

Offline chris1982

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2019, 07:28:20 PM »
AND GIVE US BLUETOOTH and GPS/TURN-BY_TURN!

The Bluetooth adaptor with GPS, phone and music connectivity is on the way for all 1200's with a TFT screen and it can be retro-fitted. It is one thing that I am very keen on finding out about for my bike. I know that the rollout has been put back a few times but now they've launched the 900 with it available as standard/option, that means it must be ready. Has anyone else heard any news about the rollout of the connectivity upgrade for the 1200's?

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Member
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2019, 07:31:15 PM »
That's great but I would like to have the TFT updated to look more like that of the 900...wouldn't you? That looks crisper, cleaner and more up-to-date...IMHO. They need to do it because if you've seen the BMW TFT, that thing is really clean, really nice to look at!

Offline jannerman

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Plymouth
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2019, 08:44:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by mike2411 [+]
That's great but I would like to have the TFT updated to look more like that of the 900...wouldn't you? That looks crisper, cleaner and more up-to-date...IMHO. They need to do it because if you've seen the BMW TFT, that thing is really clean, really nice to look at!

:0461:

As for the rest of the Tiger 900, it's handsome, has improvements just about everywhere over the 800 and it looks like big T could be on to be a winner with it but... it doesn't have the things I bought the 1200 for, TSAS, Shaft Drive and a big grunty motor. I guess they wanted to keep the weight / costs down and also avoid cannibalising sales of the 1200.

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Member
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2019, 09:53:00 PM »
I know what you're saying and I hear that same thing from others, "keeping the weight down" but most don't off-road theirs, and an additional 1.5 or 2 gallons of fuel isn't going to change the weight THAT much, and they do have the room. The "ex-spurts" claim that the Tiger is BEST on the road and the others are better off-road. Who knows, but I can tell you that I do "some" off-roading and lots of paved riding and the bike feels great regardless of the surface I am on. I am convinced the additional fuel and added weight won't feel much different. I am used to big bikes so gimme, gimme, gimme! I would LOVE to have longer range between tanks, it would be amazing! I almost bought the GSA in March because of that one factor, but chose the Tiger because I liked everything else about the Tiger. The idea of an 8-gallon tank almost hooked me. I'm glad I didn't do it, but I still am hoping for a fuel capacity increase at some point.

As much as I try to convince myself that my next bike will be the GSA, I still go back to Triumph and the Tiger...can't help it. I guess I'm hanging on to the hope that Triumph will show us more love in the way of support here in the U.S. Maybe wishful thinking but that is what I am holding out for! The Tiger makes an awesome touring bike, they just need more range! Others will say "why" but that is my biggest and pretty much only gripe. I can ride 180 miles MAX or I'm walking and that is pretty weak for a big "touring" ADV bike! Everything else is spot-on! I have never loved packing panniers like I do on my Tiger, the leg room is great, they are comfortable, they are fast, they are smooth, they handle amazing, the fact that you can easily and comfortably stand make long rides much more enjoyable. Lovin the bike and wishing for some good things over the next few years so I can look forward to an upgraded Tiger in about 4 years. That's just me venting to all of you because my wife just rolls her eyes when I vent these things to her!

Offline Freddy58

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2019, 01:52:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
While the HP is the same the torque went up a little.  The interesting thing I see is while the power did stay the same it comes in lower in the RPM range. 

The 800 has 94 bhp (70 kW) @ 9,500 rpm and 79Nm @ 8,050rpm
The 900 has 93.9 bhp (70 kW) @ 8,750 rpm and 87 Nm @ 7,250 rpm 87

I read the specs and it says much more usable power than just peak numbers that I can't normally use.   Few pounds lighter and a larger fuel tank.  Seems things are going the right direction. 

Hard to say - looks like a good bump, but "lower" in the range still looks like it's up past 4500 rpm or so.

Recent Topics