Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 900 Rally & Tiger 900 GT range launched soon - death of the T12?  (Read 16875 times)

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: Tiger 900 Rally & Tiger 900 GT range launched soon - death of the T12?
« Reply #180 on: June 29, 2020, 02:22:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by guiri [+]
My riding buddy said the headlight and spotlights did not aid visibility; that seems to be a big backwards step.
I predicted it!

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #181 on: June 30, 2020, 11:45:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Composite material fuel tanks in cars are not finished and on full display. The kinds of materials that lend themselves to a high-gloss finish are not the kinds of materials that automobiles are using.

HDPE plastic which is used in fuel tank manufacturing for  motor vehicles can be painted or dyed , both of which can be gloss or not.

Walk into any power sports dealership and look at the dirt bikes and ATVs..all have  plastic tanks and all come in  shiny colors.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #182 on: June 30, 2020, 06:58:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
HDPE plastic which is used in fuel tank manufacturing for  motor vehicles can be painted or dyed , both of which can be gloss or not.

Walk into any power sports dealership and look at the dirt bikes and ATVs..all have  plastic tanks and all come in  shiny colors.
The dirt bikes I am familiar with don't have painted tanks. They are molded with colored plastic.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #183 on: July 01, 2020, 03:08:01 AM »
my staement
Plastics have come a long way so you don't need to worry about plastics and ethanol anymore.....you would be hard pressed to find any car or truck with a metal tank these days

and your reply

Composite material fuel tanks in cars are not finished and on full display. The kinds of materials that lend themselves to a high-gloss finish are not the kinds of materials that automobiles are using.

followed by
HDPE plastic which is used in fuel tank manufacturing for motor vehicles can be painted or dyed , both of which can be gloss or not.

and then....
The dirt bikes I am familiar with don't have painted tanks. They are molded with colored plastic.

I think you forgot what you were arguing since you made my point for me....most tanks are HDPE now and they can be finished in any color or shade you like .
 ..car , truck, bike, it makes no difference so my original point stands.....there is no longer any reason  to be afraid of a plastic tank
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 03:09:49 AM by Crosshairs »

Offline trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 1200
  • City / Town: Manawatu
« Reply #184 on: July 01, 2020, 05:04:15 AM »
My Gen 1 year 2000 Sprint ST955 had a plastic fuel tank. Over time they shrank and putting it back onto the frame became a real bugger. Would not be able to align the mounting bolts. I'm told it was a reaction to ethanol-based fuel..but i don't know.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #185 on: July 01, 2020, 12:01:23 PM »
my staement
and your reply

followed by

and then....

I think you forgot what you were arguing since you made my point for me....most tanks are HDPE now and they can be finished in any color or shade you like .
 ..car , truck, bike, it makes no difference so my original point stands.....there is no longer any reason  to be afraid of a plastic tank
OK, Troll.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #186 on: July 01, 2020, 05:36:04 PM »
OK, Troll.
OK, so you cant admit when your wrong and you resort to name calling....got it.

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #187 on: July 01, 2020, 05:39:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by trade_nancy [+]
My Gen 1 year 2000 Sprint ST955 had a plastic fuel tank. Over time they shrank and putting it back onto the frame became a real bugger. Would not be able to align the mounting bolts. I'm told it was a reaction to ethanol-based fuel..but i don't know.

It more than likely was the ethanol  fuel. Thankfully newer technology with polymers makes it a thing of the past.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #188 on: July 01, 2020, 07:35:35 PM »
OK, so you cant admit when your wrong and you resort to name calling....got it.
Just not taking the bate. Sorry.  :038:

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #189 on: July 01, 2020, 10:05:20 PM »
Just not taking the bate. Sorry.  :038:

I have no idea what your on about...you are the one who initiated this conversation by replying to my post with bad information. I merely corrected that information.
If you cant accept that, then thats on you, not me . The name calling is pretty telling though.....

I will say Im not surprised though, you are after all the same person who said I was going to get my bike "grounded" by the cops  for installing LED blinkers...it seems like bad information flows easily from your mouth
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 10:13:36 PM by Crosshairs »

Recent Topics

nonskid