Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger Explorer engine corrosion  (Read 1213 times)

Offline marsam

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: TT 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Tychy
Tiger Explorer engine corrosion
« on: November 17, 2019, 12:02:17 PM »
In May 2019, bubbles began to appear on the engine, the paint began to peel around the lower crankcase, I reported it as a defect to a Triumph dealer, unfortunately the complaint was rejected (the warranty card says item 11 "Other parts that are not covered by the warranty are: seats, trunk, painted, chrome elements etc.)

In September, the corrosion increased, and after service for 36,000 km oil began to leak from the right, which I reported on the complaint. At that time, i.e. September 19, 2019, the warranty was over. The leakage fault was found and in November the engine was pulled out, sealing it again.

What I saw when picking up the motorcycle from the dealer, and what was not before handing it over, are shown in the pictures below. The paint has gone away to a large extent, the paint is crumbling.

Has anyone had a similar problem and how was it solved (under warranty or painting the engine yourself)?

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Tiger Explorer engine corrosion
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 05:41:07 PM »
There have been several postings over the years, by owners who did get components replaced due to blistered paint. I recall a few got new swingarms, for example, under warranty. Mostly gen1 TEX models.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline TTruckie

• Explorer Pro
  • XCa in 'fastest' White
  • Bike: Explorer XCa '16
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 11:23:24 PM »
I have exactly the same and my dealer are and have been dragging their heal over this
TTruckie

Offline jaiyenyen

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XCA
  • City / Town: courtenay bc
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 12:58:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by marsam [+]
In May 2019, bubbles began to appear on the engine, the paint began to peel around the lower crankcase, I reported it as a defect to a Triumph dealer, unfortunately the complaint was rejected (the warranty card says item 11 "Other parts that are not covered by the warranty are: seats, trunk, painted, chrome elements etc.)

In September, the corrosion increased, and after service for 36,000 km oil began to leak from the right, which I reported on the complaint. At that time, i.e. September 19, 2019, the warranty was over. The leakage fault was found and in November the engine was pulled out, sealing it again.

What I saw when picking up the motorcycle from the dealer, and what was not before handing it over, are shown in the pictures below. The paint has gone away to a large extent, the paint is crumbling.

Has anyone had a similar problem and how was it solved (under warranty or painting the engine yourself)?

I have a 2017 XCA, no issues yet. What year is your bike and do you ride it in the winter with salt on the roads?

Offline marsam

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: TT 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Tychy
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 04:01:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by jaiyenyen [+]
  I have a 2017 XCA, no issues yet. What year is your bike and do you ride it in the winter with salt on the roads?

2017 XRT,  not ride in the winter

Offline jaiyenyen

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 06:16:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by marsam [+]
2017 XRT,  not ride in the winter
That should definately be made right by Triumph. There is no way a bike should corrode like that.

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 03:15:16 PM »
Its does look like salt corrosion - the only other thing is that the casting were not treated correctly before assembly or the paint process had an issue 
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline jaiyenyen

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 05:04:20 PM »
Faulty prep work on the engine paint I think. I bought a new motorhome in 2014, 1 year later one of the black coated mirrors starting corroding the same way as your Triumph. Warranty replaced the mirror. I know it is not a motorcycle but the same problem. One mirror only. My 2017 XCA has no corrosion as of yet so if not all the bikes are doing it then it must be lack of quality control.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 05:28:10 PM »
Playing devil's advocate, it could also be the result of using corrosive engine cleaning sprays.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline jaiyenyen

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 07:33:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Playing devil's advocate, it could also be the result of using corrosive engine cleaning sprays.
  Yes that would do it, same as salt I guess.

Recent Topics