Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Alternative Tyre size  (Read 335 times)

Offline mikerbull007

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012 explorer
  • City / Town: Leicester
Alternative Tyre size
« on: November 28, 2019, 06:34:09 PM »
Hi All,
In the process of ordering a new set of Metz Tourance Next for my 2012 Explorer and I got to thinking that since all my riding is road based and the odd slow group track day, I wondered if I would be better off with a slightly wider front tyre. Was thinking of a 120 x 70 x 19 instead of the standard 110 x 80 x 19. Does anyone have any experience of trying this or indeed any comments. Many thanks. Mike

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Alternative Tyre size
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 11:13:28 PM »
Some folks will do this and be happy with it. I wouldn't. If you mount a wider tire in a narrower rim, you are pinching the tire a bit, which will change its profile from what the OEM intended. MTCW.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Regi T

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 05:58:32 AM »
If you like the look of a bigger tyre, and I agree that the Explorer has missed out here, go for the wider tyre, I hardly think 5mm each side is going to be an issue, but CaptainTrips is correct in saying it will pinch the tyre and change the profile.  I put a 160/70 on my rear, mainly to gain a little more ride height, and had no issues. Please note that by going to the 120/70 front as you mentioned, the front tyre will have a slightly smaller diameter. MFCW  (as 2 cent pieces are obsolete here!)

Offline mikerbull007

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012 explorer
  • City / Town: Leicester
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 09:54:07 PM »
Many thanks for your replys. Some good points made.
I'm going to give it a try and will let you know how i get on.
Regards  Mike

Recent Topics

nonskid