Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Screens  (Read 545 times)

Offline D16PJM

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: Sidcup
Screens
« on: November 30, 2019, 09:48:17 PM »
i know screens have been done over and over but it is knowing what works, i have an XRT that i believe they come with a slightly taller screen anyway.

I am after a slightly taller screen but all i can find is at best an inch higher, is that enough to make a difference, what are you guys using.

Pete

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
Re: Screens
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 11:30:42 PM »
I fitted an XRT screen to my XRX, but still wanted a bit taller so added a MRA Vario VSA Type C screen (I went for the type C as it was the best width across the top). Nice and clear, add about an inch to the top of the standard screen and is adjustable, so with that you can help direct the wind upwards that little bit further.

Others I know have fitted the Puig screen with the deflector on it, which from what i recall works just as well.

Just an option to consider to maybe replacing your screen.

Offline Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 12:23:48 AM »
Like Hawkeye I went for the Puig screen with the winglet fitted. I'm 6'3" and this combo is so tall I could not ride with it all the way up!

When I got my new Gen3 XRT in August I found that the stock seats had been improved from a comfort perspective and using the stock seat sat me lower in the bike which meant I could use the stock XRT touring screen - go figure.

Simmo
2019 Tiger 1200 XRT in White fitted with Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, and Givi Trekker Outback 58L Top Box.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 10:45:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by D16PJM [+]
i know screens have been done over and over but it is knowing what works, i have an XRT that i believe they come with a slightly taller screen anyway.

I am after a slightly taller screen but all i can find is at best an inch higher, is that enough to make a difference, what are you guys using.

Pete
The search feature is handy on the forum, some lads here getting good results with PUIG. One the Gen 3 I reckon the only MRA-Vario "add-on" that would fit and look right is the X-Screen sport due to the narrow top lip but others may know better from actual use.

Offline D16PJM

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: Sidcup
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 05:34:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
The search feature is handy on the forum, some lads here getting good results with PUIG. One the Gen 3 I reckon the only MRA-Vario "add-on" that would fit and look right is the X-Screen sport due to the narrow top lip but others may know better from actual use.

thanks for the info, i did do a search but with different models coming with different size screens its difficult to know what works and how much taller than standard the screen is.

do we know if the lips in the top of the screens work?

Pete

Online NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 09:23:47 AM »
I will know very soon.
I ordered a cheapo one from AliExpress and will try it as soon as it'll have arrived.
I'll keep you posted.

('18 XRt)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 05:56:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by D16PJM [+]
do we know if the lips in the top of the screens work?

Pete
I've used them (MRA XScreen and Laminar Lip) on multiple bikes over the past 10 years. They always yield improved airflow for me. The MRA add-ons are best because they can be adjusted in multiple ways.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Dark Star

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Rhondda
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 02:12:56 PM »
I have an 2016 XRT.  I am 6 ft 3 ins.  I am using the Puig Touring Screen which is several inches taller than stock and made a massive difference to ride quality.  On the lower position I can see over it but without any buffeting.  On the raised position I am looking through it unless I make a conscious effort to look over the top.  I generally only use it raised when cruising in heavy rain.

Recent Topics

nonskid