Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated seats 1200 Explorer 2019  (Read 829 times)

Offline CraigW

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 tiger
  • City / Town: Braintree
Heated seats 1200 Explorer 2019
« on: December 02, 2019, 08:50:11 AM »
Hi I am trying to get some help with my so called heated seats, I have only had the bike a couple of months but the heated seats don't seam to get hot. The dealer has checked it 3 times now and we can not resolve the issue. The dealer has now used a temperature gauge to measure the seat and has recorded an increase of 7 degrees on high setting after 10 minutes. Dose this sound correct ?  Also is there a pressure switch built in the seat so it only works when your sitting on the seat.
Thanks for the help
Craig

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
Re: Heated seats 1200 Explorer 2019
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 03:45:19 PM »
Triumph changed the design of the heated seats on the Gen-2's (and I think the same seats are fitted to the Gen-3's). Yes they can take a while to warm up. I thought I had an issue with mine, same concerns as yours, but even after they changed the seat twice, it heated exactly the same.

I'm not sure if they have a pressure switch - I don't think so - but from what I understand the heating element is right in the centre of the seat stuffing. Dealer suggested to me to lean on the seat, yes it felt warmer quicker, but then I was compressing the stuffing so it would do. AFter about 25 mins or so, mine is really quite comfortable and warm on a long trip (It warms up before then, but needs time it works its way through bike gear as well).

Just the way it is unfortunately.

Offline CraigW

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 06:00:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply, The dealer told me you have to put pressure on the seat but I recon my hand would warm it up more the 7 degrees, Dealer was supposed to get back to me today but no joy.

Wish I hadn't brought a Triumph

Offline bazthebike

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: xcx 17/blue
  • City / Town: southwest
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 06:49:53 PM »
Hi, I have gen 2 xcx. when I put my heated seat on I always switch it to high setting first. as it gets hot then turn it down. Ive been happy with mine when its about 7c .including wearing thermal trousers. My other half says the pillion seat gets a little too warm on high setting. There is no pressure switch to my knowledge. Why don't you ask dealer to swap seat from bike in showroom and see if its any different.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 07:37:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by CraigW [+]
Thanks for the reply, The dealer told me you have to put pressure on the seat but I recon my hand would warm it up more the 7 degrees, Dealer was supposed to get back to me today but no joy.

Wish I hadn't brought a Triumph

Yes you do, as I mentioned above, but only so it "replicates" you sitting on it.

Personally I'd ask for the seat to be changed. If this is the original seat, they've checked it 3 times and you are still not happy, then either get them to change it under warranty and/or write to Triumph (be sure to include the last 6 digits of your VIN number if you do) expressing your dissatisfaction.

I can understand you being downhearted about your Tiger but try not to be  - I wondered what the heck I'd done when I bought mine new and had similar initial 'issues', but having had mine 3 years now I have to say its one of the best bikes I've ever owned and a real joy to ride. I'm sure one way or another they can get it sorted.

If you want an independent view, give Brian at Dunmow Motorcycles a call (just down the road from you at Braintree  :152:). Brian was the head tech at what was Ongar Motorcycles before the business was sold to Lings earlier this year and he and Jason (sales) decided to set up their own business. Brian is very very good (what he doesn't know about Triumphs isn't worth knowing), is fully Triumph trained and has maintained my bike since it was new (and still continues to now)

www.dunmowmotorcycles.co.uk
01371 852116

Offline CraigW

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 08:41:31 AM »
Hi Thanks again for the help, the dealer has already changed the seat, and were meant to contact Triumph UK and then me yesterday and email over the figures, STILL WAITING

I know Brian from JP days in Braintree so might give him a call.

Thanks

Craig

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 08:42:00 AM »
This is discussed a fair bit on the forum, don't waste any more time at the dealers, they are as warm as they are going to get. The Gen 3 heated seats don't get that warm, I think due to the extra "mesh" design. Position 2 is supposed to get the seat up to temp and position 1 for normal use.

Offline CraigW

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 08:50:19 AM »
Hi
Thanks for your help, perhaps triumph need to rewrite there literature to heated seats that don't really work.

Thanks again

Online redmerle

• Explorer God
  • Keeper of the outrageous paint job!
  • Bike: '13 Gen 1, from new
  • City / Town: Liskeard
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 02:48:41 PM »
This is a real shame to hear. The Tiger really is a superb bike and hope that you get a break through soon. I wonder if a Gen 1 seat (which works very well) can be fitted in its place?

Offline Tigerni

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 07:40:00 PM »
The heated seat on my Gen 3 does take a little time to reach temperature and to penetrate a few layers of clothing, but once it does, I have found it's more than adequate when riding in anything above freezing (I haven't tried any colder days than that) and on some occasions I have had to switch to the lower setting as it was getting too warm. 

Recent Topics