Author Topic: It's goodbye from me...  (Read 6906 times)

Offline redmerle

• Explorer God
  • Both proudly built in Hinckley 👍
  • Bike: '13 Gn.1+’15 Trophy
  • City / Town: Liskeard
Re: It's goodbye from me...
Reply #30 on: December 11, 2019, 01:52:12 AM
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
Because I don't hear owners moaning

Neither do I, but then that may be more to do with the fact that I don’t know anyone that has owned one for years!

I was wondering if you had anything more concrete?

Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 02:05:21 AM by redmerle
2013 to date: 2013 Tiger 1200 &
2020 to date: 2015 Trophy 1200
And always a Land Rover / Range Rover of some sort 😁

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #31 on: December 11, 2019, 03:09:47 AM
*Originally Posted by redmerle [+]
Neither do I, but then that may be more to do with the fact that I don’t know anyone that has owned one for years!

I am a serial Honda owner going back to 1974. My last Honda was an ST1300 that I sold on after 6 years of ownership to buy my TEX. If Honda had been selling the Crosstourer in CA in 2014, I would probably not have bought my TEX. I never had any issues with any of my Hondas, outside of maintenance and normal wear. I tell people all the time, that if reliability is at the top of their list, buy a Honda.
Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 03:11:30 AM by CaptainTrips
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #32 on: December 11, 2019, 09:41:11 AM
*Originally Posted by redmerle [+]

Sorry, I don't have any facts, it was just my interpretation & evaluation of local & online gossip - or for the Jap brands lack of negative gossip!

Another of my guesses is that buyers of premium brands have higher expectations (& more money spent!) so are more vocal when their experience falls short of those expectations.
And of course those expectations are often based on the premium image & status brand's publicity departments create that can be deflated by either the bikes or by dealerships who don't (or can't match) the premium image & status.

Offline peejay1977

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Warrington
Reply #33 on: December 11, 2019, 09:52:44 AM
Unfortunately internet forums and sometimes online statistics aren't always the best to draw conclusions from. I realise thats stating the obvious. Rarely do people post on internet forums about how great their bike is, although it does happen obviously, but it's far more likely to be a question or an issue.

I joined a Kawasaki Ninja forum nearly 15 years ago and am still friends with alot of the people there and I'd say 80% of the bike related posts were either questions about how to do things, or issues that people had. Kwak sports bikes were known to have bolts made of cheese and other issues.

But, I guess the number of bikes sold, to what audience, and how the bikes are used comes into play. I was talking to a guy on the ferry back from France who was on a Yamaha Super Tenere and he loved it, but had some niggles in the 3 years he'd owned it.

I don't think (personally) there is a bad or unreliable brand, some people seem to have endless problems, others ride silly high miles with no issues at all. Personally my experience of owning the Explorer was overall positive, but I feel like I ended up with a "Friday afternoon bike" which is just pot luck I guess.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #34 on: December 11, 2019, 10:50:30 AM
I just rode through Angeles Park on a 2005 Honda ST with 215,000 km on it. The owner who lent it to me says the engine has never been opened, just normal servicing. The thing wasn't anywhere near as nimble or comfy as the T12 but it worked perfectly and still puled lie a train. That is a testament to Honda. I'd be happy if my T12 achieved as much, just not sure I can!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #35 on: December 12, 2019, 02:03:38 PM
Do you want some extraordinary report?
Here you go !
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1jplTysVAinWldFYi1Mb05NVDA/preview

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #36 on: December 12, 2019, 02:20:28 PM
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Here you go !
That's some mileage!

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
Reply #37 on: December 12, 2019, 03:45:51 PM
^^ Good story.  850k on a VFR, wow!
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #38 on: December 13, 2019, 07:33:30 AM
I strongly believe that only Honda makes it possible!
Too bad the Cross Dresser is so bland and heavy!
(can live with heavy as long as there is some engine magic ;-)

Offline Lopez

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: XC
  • City / Town: Madrid
Reply #39 on: December 13, 2019, 07:49:27 AM
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Here you go !

I also had a VFR 800 VTEC. I remember her ('Macarena" was her name) as one of the best bikes I've ever have... Sold it with 180.000km and only problems were electrical (those Honda rectifiers...). Great, great bike... I was not going to sell her, but it was too sad to see Macarena alone in the garage, looking at me everytime I went out with the Explorer.

A friend of mine got divorced and he was depressed, so I sold her to him at a cheap price. By the next day, he was buying condoms, so she made her magic.