Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Does a 2018 XRT adaptive headlight work on a 2018 XRX? Anyone know?  (Read 758 times)

Offline iamwhatiam

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018xrxlow
  • City / Town: Eastham
I can get a an XRT headlight in perfect shape for cheap from a crashed XRT. Figure why not if it swaps out. All the part numbers of the electrics seem to match. Except, of course, the headlight itself. Not sure if the ecu is compatible.

Offline TRITIGEX

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: DH
Re: Does a 2018 XRT adaptive headlight work on a 2018 XRX? Anyone know?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 04:12:36 PM »
Both are equipped with the IMU. What will be missing is the cornering lights software in the ECU of the XRX.  I am sure that the XRX ECU will not accept activation of the cornering lights. My guess is that the main lights itself will work.

Offline iamwhatiam

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 04:25:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by TRITIGEX [+]
Both are equipped with the IMU. What will be missing is the cornering lights software in the ECU of the XRX.  I am sure that the XRX ECU will not accept activation of the cornering lights. My guess is that the main lights itself will work.

Hmmm. I checked the part numbers of both the XRX and the XRT ECU and they matched. Still, I have no idea if that means it will work or not. It's cheap compared to buying new. But not that cheap.

Offline TRITIGEX

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 04:44:56 PM »
Although ECU partnumbers are same the software is locked and different for all T1200 models. For example a XRx ECU will not accept XCA riding modes or the extra XRT TFT display layout.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 05:40:46 PM »
I suppose that the cornering lights could be hardwired to a switch that you could turn on when you want them, or activated by the turn signals.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: English Riviera
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 06:02:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I suppose that the cornering lights could be hardwired to a switch that you could turn on when you want them, or activated by the turn signals.
Possibly with a bit of hacking but comms to the headlight is all via CAN now, as I recall, so maybe not so simple.
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline TRITIGEX

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 06:10:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
Possibly with a bit of hacking but comms to the headlight is all via CAN now, as I recall, so maybe not so simple.
Absolutely right  :028: since all turn signal  "signals" are transported via Canbus to the ECU.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 07:17:57 PM »
I wouldn't bother. I honestly can't tell if the cornering lights work or not. I've ridden in pitch black up the twisty Wicklow Mountain roads, no artificial light nearby for miles and I can't seem to see any benefit from them whatsoever. A very very marginal illumination is the most I have ever seen and you have to take your eye off the road to see that. On my bike at least they are quite pointless, just behind the keyless ignition for usefulness. :001:

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 08:23:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
I wouldn't bother. I honestly can't tell if the cornering lights work or not. I've ridden in pitch black up the twisty Wicklow Mountain roads, no artificial light nearby for miles and I can't seem to see any benefit from them whatsoever. A very very marginal illumination is the most I have ever seen and you have to take your eye off the road to see that. On my bike at least they are quite pointless, just behind the keyless ignition for usefulness. :001:
  I'm afraid I have to agree, can't really seem to see too much difference in light output on corners.  And I'm happy to see Triumph went with a keyed ignition on the new Tiger 900.  Hopefully that carries over to the next gen 1200.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline iamwhatiam

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 08:29:24 PM »
Thanks for all the replies folks. I'll save my money for something else I don't need.

Recent Topics

nonskid