Author Topic: Does a 2018 XRT adaptive headlight work on a 2018 XRX? Anyone know?  (Read 1237 times)

Offline flyingz06

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Indiana
not worth it as they don't work very well :139:

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Confirmed. I can definitely see them in the dark, but only if the foglights are off.
Yet another ill implemented marketing gimmick.
And that's too bad because a well implemented corenering light system would really improve night riding.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
Possibly with a bit of hacking but comms to the headlight is all via CAN now, as I recall, so maybe not so simple.
I supposed that you'd have to tap into the line at the signal (left and right) and put a relay on them.

As an alternative, I put my cheapo LED fog/running lights down low on the front brake calipers, so they steer with the bike. Another old-timey solution.
Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 12:37:43 PM by CaptainTrips
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline flyingz06

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Indiana
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Confirmed. I can definitely see them in the dark, but only if the foglights are off.
Yet another ill implemented marketing gimmick.
And that's too bad because a well implemented corenering light system would really improve night riding.

Truth

Online T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: English Riviera
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
Possibly with a bit of hacking but comms to the headlight is all via CAN now, as I recall, so maybe not so simple.

Just an update on this...I've been looking at the CAN bus commands to the LED headlights and it's possible to control them with a custom module that talks directly to the headlight electronics, so it would be possible to add Mk3 LED type headlights to other versions.
Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 04:06:22 PM by T800XC
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

nonskid