Author Topic: Anyone using Belstaff Jackets  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Graham Keeton

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer&Street Twin
  • City / Town: Barnstaple
Re: Anyone using Belstaff Jackets
Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 11:42:55 AM
*Originally Posted by mcchoc [+]
I think the Belstaff label was bought by an Italian fashion company a few years ago.  They kept the price tag but slashed the quality, as I found out when I returned a leather version of the Trialmaster I'd bought, and which was barely tough enough for the cat-walk.

As folk have attested, the Rukka stuff is very good - but if you want a quality, classic leather bike jacket, look at Lewis Leathers.  I just blew a lot of pesos on their Roadmaster jacket - and I still have my Monza jacket from 40+ years ago.  Too small for me now, but Lewis Leathers are the original bike brand and their stuff is top drawer.

David Mc.

Wot he said.

Go for Barbour - made in South Shields, from what I remember (which is not a lot these days, probably less than back in the 70's and 80's about which I can remember very little but I do remember I lived up the road in Whitley Bay).

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 12:58:13 PM
*Originally Posted by Graham Keeton [+]
Wot he said.

Go for Barbour - made in South Shields, from what I remember (which is not a lot these days, probably less than back in the 70's and 80's about which I can remember very little but I do remember I lived up the road in Whitley Bay).

Sadly I don't think Barbour make any bike jackets with elbow/knee/back protectors etc. & now only do outdoor "leisure wear". Another company that's succumbed to the lure of fashion profits over functional products.

Offline Graham Keeton

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer&Street Twin
  • City / Town: Barnstaple
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 03:13:28 PM
Wow, yeah I just had a look on their website. They've gone all 'OK yah'.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 05:05:29 PM
If anyone wants a waxed jacket Performance Triumph in Cheltenham have a few discounted ones for sale,  I guess probably discontinued and/or last years style? Triumph's own brand & look reasonably "authentic" 1960s style but I don't know where they're made or who by, but most Triumph clothing is pretty good.

Offline daveh

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2019 XRX 1200
  • City / Town: Ballarat
Reply #14 on: January 30, 2021, 09:54:44 AM
I see your in the USA, have you considered custom made.
Seven Hundred American is a fair spend.
For maybe a little more you can have something tailored.
I have Tiger Angel gear, an Australian company and can highly recommend.
I paid $700 Australian for trousers almost thirty years ago.
Still wear them.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #15 on: January 30, 2021, 11:23:13 AM
*Originally Posted by Graham Keeton [+]

:008:  I went to Southshields Marine and Technical College for a year as an apprentice, I didn't remember much of that while I was there or after I left either.  :087:  The main thing I do remember is drinking in the Criterion and getting a £2.50 sit down curry on Ocean Road on the way home. The competition between the Indian Restaurants was unreal at the time. My wheels were an old CB350K4 twin, it was a bit of a slog going home to Oxford every term.

I recently purchased a Spada Kidderminster Wax Cotton jacket from Sportsbikeshop with full armour and a removable liner. It is not the quality the old Belstaff but for the money it is a great bit of kit in that old wax cotton style. Ah, I want my yoof back!

nonskid