Author Topic: 2017 1200 XCx Lowering kit  (Read 3610 times)

Offline maccers

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer xca
  • City / Town: Belfast
Re: 2017 1200 XCx Lowering kit
Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 02:03:28 PM
Ive a heated lower seat for sale on this site. 32" Inside leg but I still  needed it when two up and luggage as I felt unstable. It worked a treat but ive changed bike now.

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 07:11:23 PM
Hi JohnCFI, check Hawkeye's topic:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17208.msg204001.html#msg204001

We have our mainstands shortened, he did it himself and my dealer did it for me.
Maybe you can ask a local welder?
It makes the bike just perfect  :002: :028:

Cheers, Theo

There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline JohnCFI

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Desire the Right... to ride
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCx (2017
  • City / Town: Stanley
Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 08:18:35 PM
Theo (and Hawkeye).  Thank you for this, really useful (just what this forum is for  :152: :152: )  I have copied the photos and I have a great welder/metalworker to do the job.  Just a small hiccup with Lust Racing, which I hope is now resolved, they didn't realise they could post to the Falklands.  A phone call this morning hopefully put that right.   :821: :821:
Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 08:34:35 PM by JohnCFI
John Clifford
Stanley
Falkland Islands

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 01:30:14 PM
 :034: sort of same hiccup here, I misread the ordering code for the lowering links and thus forgot the adjustable TSAS link bar :138:
I phoned and mailed Alex at Lust Racing and it was solved in a few days :001:

When fitting the lowering links, you have the opportunity to put new grease in the rollerbearings.
And I found out that you can better reinsert the bolts from the other side, as when lowered the exhaust pipe is annoyingly in the way...  :164:
Success with your mods  :031:

Theo
Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 01:55:38 PM by Tiger T.O.
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline c10

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XCX1200
  • City / Town: Sugar land
Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 02:04:06 AM
A little Bump to a older thread . I'm 5 ' 1"  on a non lowered XCX .  Get off the seat , and wear some boots with good tread depth / heel .  I can push the big Tiger backwards on the balls of my feet .  Lowered bikes tend to never quiet handle as their intended height . Take some time get to know your bike , and practice . Put some tip over bars on , and ride .  I would always recommend a cut down seat over lowering , but it won't be a comfortable Iron Butt machine then .   
You can see from my FJR I'm not very tall ;)

Online trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 1200
  • City / Town: Manawatu
Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 02:01:50 AM
True. But can also see you are a much younger and likely stronger candidate than most of us that opt for lowering kit. Strength went from my upper body past 60 and with it goes the faith in your own body being able to push and lift the TEX. I handled my first TEX - Gen 1 in 2015. I went back to a Gen 3 5 years later and needed to lower it.

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Gen3 XCa
  • City / Town: Chester
Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 12:41:54 PM
Interesting topic / thread, and thanks for posting the vids XCaTel  :152:

I am considering fitting a lowering kit, but not because I am vertically challenged (I'm 6'2''). I'm having a lot of hip and knee trouble and find riding my Tiger quite uncomfortable. So thinking of lowering the bike along with a higher seat and maybe different pegs to try and create more leg room / better seat<>peg position,,,, while still being able to get my feet flat on the floor when stationary.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree !!  Any thoughts?

Cheers
CC   

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Gen3 XCa
  • City / Town: Chester
Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 09:00:58 AM
Hello again
Been thinking about this over night and doing some more digging - think my first step should be lowering the pegs, then depending on how this goes I could always raise the seat height etc. later, although once pegs are lowered ground clearance during hard cornering might be a big issue as have already scraped mine a couple of times with standard setup.

Does anyone have experience of the 'Bear Trap' pegs:
https://www.motobau.de/product_info.php?language=en&info=p10_-bear-trap--4-5cm-lower-rallye-footpegs-for-all-triumph-tiger-1200.html

I like the idea of the extra 45mm but am worried that this might be too much for hard cornering - would welcome any comments

Cheers
CC

Offline knuttt

• Explorer Pro
  • Mad, bad and dangerous to know - I wish! :)
  • Bike: TEX - '15 Plate
  • City / Town: Sutton Coldfield
Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 05:15:01 PM
Looking for some advice too please.

Running my XRT with standard saddle in low position and Custom mode, Off-Road preload with road ABS etc. but I'm often still on balls of my feet and VERY aware of just high up this bike carries it's weight!

I would like to be able to run in road/sports mode but the preload increase makes this quite a stretch.

What I'm wondering is if I should got for the 20mm or 40mm kit from Lust racing - along with a side stand adjustment as necessary...

Andy
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Arnold 'ACE' Rimmer

Offline ZShyster

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Bonnie & Tiger 800
  • City / Town: Elmhurst IL
Reply #19 on: November 23, 2020, 03:15:25 AM
Knutt,

I tried lowering my 2015 Explorer XC by both 20mm and 40mm.  I found the 40mm a little too low as I found myself having to watch my toes in turns, this became apparent to me when riding the Tail of the Dragon here in the US.  I am not saying I would not have kept it that low if I needed it, but the 20mm was a good compromise also pushed up the forks 1/2 inch I think that is 12mm.  You can see my efforts and solutions on this thread,

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,16728.10.html 

Be sure to scroll through the entire thread.

By the way, I sold my Explorer last fall, age has caught up with me, had to go lighter, I ride a 2016 Tiger 800 XRT now.  A good bike but I miss the power of the 1200 and the way it tracked on the road.

Good Luck.
ZShyster

nonskid