Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Coolant level  (Read 323 times)

Offline AngusR

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Rochdale
Coolant level
« on: January 13, 2020, 08:10:16 PM »
This is just a quick heads up to remind you to periodically check your coolant level. I checked mine yesterday. I have a six month old Tiger 1200 XCA with 5,900 miles. I found the level to be just below the minimum mark which surprised me. I have to be honest and say it’s not something I routinely check very often. I’ve recently started a ROSPA riding course and part of this involves a pre ride check using the Acronym POWDDERSS
P Petrol
O Oil and fluid levels
W water
DD damage/drive chain/shaft
E electrics/lights/indicators/horn
R rubber
SS steering/suspension.

Never assume your bike is ready to ride without pre ride checks...no matter how new it is...Hope this helps.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Re: Coolant level
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 10:31:37 PM »
I am very familiar with the POWDDERSS - I'm an IAM observer - so yes I do check my coolant level.
From my experience with 2 Explorers over 50k miles in the UK I've found with the coolant level at or just above the minimum mark usually works well.
What would concern me is if the coolant level suddenly dropped, but mine is consistent and there's no sign of overheating so I'm happy with that.
In the past I once had the system leak (= overflow ?) when it was over half full & nearer the max level (& from memory of previous threads on this forum I don't think I'm alone in this).
Of course this might vary from bike to bike and in different climate conditions.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 04:20:26 AM »
I am on my third Triumph and they all run below the minimum level.  Put more in and they will puke it out.  They all seem to run very low in the tank but the level never goes below that.  Never needed to add water, they just like running low.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 08:52:10 AM »
I second VSteel's statement.
And it's been like that with all my Triumphs ('97 Tiger 900, '08 Tiger 1050, '12 Tex, '14 Tex, '18 T12).
Makes me wonder why Triumph made this weird choice. It makes most owners worry for no useful result.

Offline belpas

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 04:52:23 PM »
Its the amount that they purge out when hot and being a syphonic system they suck it back under vacuum when cooling down...this amount it uses on a cycle does not correspond with the level indicators on the bottle and as stated they find there own sweet spot :002:     

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 05:11:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
I am on my third Triumph and they all run below the minimum level.  Put more in and they will puke it out.  They all seem to run very low in the tank but the level never goes below that.  Never needed to add water, they just like running low.
My experience exactly. And my 955 Tiger was the same=top it up and it would just spit it out until it was at minimum again

Offline Bruce Wayne

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Winterswijk
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 06:36:04 PM »
 When you’ve starter the engine, what is the level then?
In other words, doe this check has to be done with running engine? I have in my mind that this is also the rulle for the Yamaha FJR, but I’m not dure.

Offline TRITIGEX

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: DH
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 07:13:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by belpas [+]
Its the amount that they purge out when hot and being a syphonic system they suck it back under vacuum when cooling down...this amount it uses on a cycle does not correspond with the level indicators on the bottle and as stated they find there own sweet spot :002:   
I am on my 11th Hinkley watercooled Triumph.....all  behave same...spit out coolant just above the low level mark

Recent Topics

nonskid